Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cannot get anything to work

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Montclairguy, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montclairguy

System: Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon, XP SP2

I've installed the latest 3CX phone system, using the demo key, the 3CX Gateway for Skype, and the 3CX Softphone. I cannot get any outbound calls to connect with the softphone, and I cannot get any inbound calls to reach the phone. I cannot get access to the voicemail dialing 999. I cannot reach the echo123 service, after adding it to the phonebook for the softphone, either. 3CXPhone says it's online. 3CXGateway for Skype says both lines are "Online - On Hook". 3CX Phone System Management Console says the extension is registered. If I load Skype on another box in the office, and call the account I assigned to the 3CXGateway for Skype, I see the call ringing on both lines in the gateway monitor (and hear skype ringing simultaneously on the two hidden instances) but the softphone does not register the call.

And, where, exactly, is the manual for the "3CXGateway for Skype" product? All I can find is a web page with tiny pictures I can't see clearly.

Also, I installed the softphone on another box, and registered the extension. We can't even get the two softphones to connect to each other through the 3CX PBX.

Lastly, the only "System Extension" that is showing as "registered" is the FaxExtension. All the rest, including voicemail are red and "Not registered." I've turned off my firewall temporarily, and that has no effect.

The logs show no errors, and virtually no activity.

I don't consider myself to be an idiot, but these applications are making me question that conclusion. :| What other info do you need to help me diagnose this issue? I'm not looking to do anything with the 3CX products other than manage all calls utilizing Skype for our small business, via softphones.

2. Montclairguy

Guess I'm just SOL, or perhaps, impatient. Still cannot get this to work, and no response from 3CX. :|

Here's some log info:

• 17:52:35:921 - Info : Waiting for Skype authorization
      17:52:37:484 - Info : Skype connection status is ONLINE
      17:52:37:500 - Info : Expected Skype user logged in: [x]
      17:52:37:500 - Info : Skype user status is ONLINE
      17:52:37:500 - Info : Skype authorization request succeeded
      17:52:39:453 - Info : Port check - Port [127.0.0.1:22500] is free
      17:52:39:468 - Info : Making PBX call from [x1] to [x] succeeded
      17:52:39:468 - Info : Call (skypeid 4973) incoming from Skype account [x1]
      17:52:39:468 - Info : Call (skypeid 4973) is now established
      17:52:52:234 - Info : Call (skypeid 4973) has been ended by Skype, reason: missed [misc. error]
      17:52:52:250 - Info : PBX call has been ended by PBX
      17:53:39:890 - Info : Port check - Port [127.0.0.1:22500] is free
      17:53:39:890 - Info : Making PBX call from [x1] to [x] succeeded
      17:53:39:890 - Info : Call (skypeid 5165) incoming from Skype account [x1]
      17:53:39:906 - Info : Call (skypeid 5165) is now established
      17:54:12:375 - Info : PBX call has been ended by PBX
      17:54:12:421 - Info : Call (skypeid 5165) has been ended by caller, reason: refused [misc. error]

3CX PBX shows nothing going on at all, regarding any of this, and the softphone never rang.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are trying to do too much at one time. Concentrate on getting calls working between two extensions first. Once you have that working, then move onto outside calls. Getting Skype working should be the very last step, long after you have all of the other bugs worked out of your system.
    You probably need to re-read the 3CX manual and start over from scratch. It sounds like you have some major misconfiguration if you can't even call voicemail (did you choose two or three digit extensions?, it's "99" if you chose two)

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Usually, this Skype message tells it has no microphone device available, so it doesn't want to accept making calls. Please check sound system on machine running Skype.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Montclairguy

Not in this case. The call just timed out after I let it ring and ring and ring. It didn't immediately generate that error.

6. Montclairguy

I uninstalled everything last night after heavy frustration with the products. I did read the installation section of the manual and I accepted most of the defaults as they were presented to me. Lastly, if I have no gateway, then how would I install this product at all? Will it even function without a method of making/taking calls? I thought a gateway was required to install this at all; perhaps I'm mistaken.

As stated previously, the only working registered extension was 888 for fax. Everything else was listed as "Not registered", including voicemail. But, I'll give it another shot today, and try to get extension calling and voicemail working.

I just want to move my business to Skype using softphones 100% and use this to manage it -- that's all.

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

My advice is to split this problem in two - one for PBX-related, and one for the Skype gateway. Post the PBX issue on the General section, I cannot help you too much on it since i'm not a PBX insider. However, I suggest you to (be prepared to) provide there OS version, PBX version, some PBX tracelogs in Verbose mode, a netstat -ano dump.
    I totally agree with Leejor in what he adviced - let the Skype gateway as the last step, after PBX is up-and-running.
    Regards
    vali

P.S I wanted to move this topic on the General section, but I preferred to keep it here for later, for the Skype gateway problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Montclairguy

I did, more or less:

I do appreciate the advice and assistance. Again, i was under the impression some kind of gateway was necessary to install this PBX at all, but I believe that assumption was incorrect. Regardless, I took everything off the box and will reinstall, and advise what happens from there. I hate to move this topic to the PBX forum, after I'm getting some help here... but if that's not your specialty, then I suppose I probably should. Thank you for the assistance.

9. Montclairguy

Guess it just didn't like that first install, for whatever reason. Installed the PBX, then the softphone, and those talked to each other for the first time correctly (except for the voicemail -- the only system extension online is still just the fax server.) Then I installed the Skype gateway and created the outbound rule, and finally got a call to go out over skype using the 3CX softphone. So -- it just must have been a cruddy install the first time, as I really did nothing differently this time.

Well, now that I think of it, this time I put in the demo key first, then restarted all the services (some of which refuse to stop unless forced with task manager), then I installed the phone, then the skype gateway. So, perhaps that is the trick. Not sure. I did also mute all of the Skype sounds, and disable Skype's notifications immediately after the gateway launched it. Could be a combination of all these things -- who knows?

Thanks for the assistance.

10. Montclairguy

All broken again

Upon rebooting the system, and verifying all the services are running, the entire setup stops functioning, and I'm back to square one, where nothing works.

During the first call attempt from the softphone, I hear my windows standard error wav file played, and no pop up box -- and that's all I get out of it. No notifications from that point forward.

Server activity log shows the softphones logging in to the PBX, and then this only:

11:44:00.218 [CM503008]: Call(1): Call is terminated

From that point forward, there is no record of the incoming calls, no record of the outgoing calls, etc.

I disabled the firewall completely, with identical results. I restarted all the services with identical results.

OS is XP SP 2. Machine is dual xeon 2.8ghz.

Here's the whole log file:

• Just repeats this over and over...
      11:45:27.281 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:44:55.281 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:44:23.281 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:44:00.218 [CM503008]: Call(1): Call is terminated
      11:43:51.281 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:43:46.046 [CM504001]: Ext.100: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:100@127.0.0.1:3254;rinstance=adc41bbf911693ca/100]
      11:43:19.281 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:42:55.281 IP(s) added:[192.168.1.2]
      11:42:49.718 [EC200002]: Media server is connected: application:xxxx:0/MediaServer local:127.0.0.1:5482 remote:127.0.0.1:3199
      11:42:47.578 [CM504008]: Fax Service: registered as sip:888@192.168.1.2:5060 with contact sip:888@192.168.1.2:5100;user=phone
      11:42:47.265 Active calls counted toward license limit: []
      11:42:46.812 [EC200006]: Conference server is connected: application:xxxx:0/3CXConferenceRoom local:127.0.0.1:5482 remote:127.0.0.1:3193
      11:42:46.578 [CM506002]: Resolved SIP external IP:port (24.147.90.212:5060) on Transport 192.168.1.2:5060
      11:42:46.546 [EC200004]: IVR server is connected: application:xxxx:0/IVRServer local:127.0.0.1:5482 remote:127.0.0.1:3190
      11:42:46.421 [CM506001]: STUN request to resolve SIP external IP:port mapping is sent to STUN server 94.228.101.70:3478 over Transport 192.168.1.2:5060
      11:42:46.375 [EC200005]: Parking Orbit server is connected: application:xxxx:0/3CXParkOrbit local:127.0.0.1:5482 remote:127.0.0.1:3189
      11:42:45.250 Failed to obtain short path name for [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3CX\Bin\Cert]
      11:42:45.250 [CM501006]: Default Local IP address: [192.168.1.2]
      11:42:45.250 [CM501002]: Version: 8.0.10708.0
      11:42:45.250 [CM501001]: Start 3CX PhoneSystem Call Manager
      11:42:45.234 [CM501007]: *** Started Calls Controller thread ***
      11:42:45.000 [CM501009]: License Info: Loaded Succeeded

11. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Can you provide an example of such skype account name?

12. Montclairguy

Kinda moot at this point, since I cannot get the thing working after a reboot -- but assuming I do, yes. Examples:

so-and-so
    johnny-mcyoinkavitch
    jane-doe

etc.
    Thanks.

13. Montclairguy

I turned off all the services, and turned them on one by one, testing the config. Once this service starts, the whole thing dies:

"3CX PhoneSystem Media Server"

Without that running, the system functions. Any ideas?

14. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

This is not any problem with these names. The problem of dialing-back is the outbound rule. These are external numbers, passing through a gateway (the Skype gateway in our case) so they should met corresponding outbound rule.

So if you want to call jane-doe skype account using the Skype gateway channel having as outbound rule sk/strip 2 digits, you will have to dial skjane-doe.

Now, when your phone receive a call from Jane Doe, this is a call from jane-doe, so dialing back means a call to, obviously, jane_doe, which does not exist. To avoid this COMMON and NORMAL issue, an option is provided in the Skype's channel configuration, to specify a prefix, commonly matching the corresponding outbound rule. Therefore, if you will specify there sk, then your phone will get an incoming call from skjane_doe, which then, later, can be dialed back without problem, being properly routed by PBX to the Skype channel.

15. Montclairguy

For what purpose would I have to specify an outbound skype rule using "sk" (for example) then strip the characters? I have no other gateway. Everything goes out over the skype gateway, and there's no reason for me to say "everything starting with sk goes out over the skype gateway, since everything goes out over the skype gateway" -- is there?

echo123 can be dialed without anything special, for example. Am I being dense, and how does this correct the softphone from stripping the hyphens?

If i put in a phone entry of "so-and-so", and dial it, the softphone shows "dialing soandso". The gateway monitor shows "online - calling soandso". The PBX log shows Call to sip:soandso@127.0.0.1...

It never dials "so-and-so". Sorry if I'm not understanding why a rule is necessary to make the software properly format what's being dialed.

Regardless, I did as you suggested, and the results are the same. The 3CX softphone strips the hypens out of the name being dialed, and the logs show the same thing.

16. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

OK, this was the key hint, "phone entry", until now I was not able to reproduce the same issue as you, because I dialed by typing or by redialing from last dials list. Now I tested and indeed, when dialing from a phonebook entry a number, this one is stripped - and this is a bug and will be fixed in the next release, thanks for spotting it.

17. Montclairguy

Thanks for the reply, but the issue also occurs if redialing from the incoming calls list. Please have a look at that code as well.

Four more issues and I can stop bugging you ;)

1) If the media service is running, everything breaks. When I stop the media service, the system appears to work correctly (mostly.) Starting the media service results in me hearing the windows error sound, with no pop up. Once the first call is made or received with this service running, I hear the same windows error sound one more time, and from that point forward, nothing works right until I stop that service.

2) None of the system extensions are registered, other than FAX. I am using a demo key for the 3CX PBX, which is supposed to unlock everything. This is a huge deterrent in convincing me to purchase the product. If I cannot test voicemail, call routing via the digital assistant, ring groups, API calls, etc., then I cannot buy this product.

3) Call quality is not good over the skype gateway. Calls start off fairly clear, but deteriorate quickly with lots of warbling and digital artifacts. I'm specifically referring to calls be handled by the skype gateway, not extension to extension calls.

4) Had an employee install the 3cx softphone offsite at his location. He called a couple of the extensions in the office and nobody was ever able to hear him. He verified his Windows 7 settings, and that the OS was receiving input from his microphone. We went over all the softphone configurations and preferences ensuring the appropriate input was specified, and turned up, and ports opened, etc. We never did get a softphone to softphone connecting working between him and anyone else, where we could hear him. Perhaps having the media service not running caused this?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

18. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Don't worry, if somebody found a bug in our phone or our Skype gateway, I should be "bugged" 8)

Now, about incoming list - yes, you're right. I've checked after in the phone code, it has the same issue, in fact redialing from any history type is affected by this issue, they are (wrong) treated like "pasted" numbers, where stripping is performed.

1 and 2 - I cannot help you, I told you already to post PBX-related issues in the General forum, where are more people adviced in PBX handling.

3 - We had several, quite few, similar reports since gateway was launched, but until now proved to be a machine-related problem, basically nothing to fix in the gateway, kind of issue you cannot put a finger on its reason :|

4 - As far as I know, to exclude media server from ecuation, in the PBX management console, for those extension go to the "Other" tab in their configuration page and uncheck "PBX delivers audio" option, then click Apply and OK. Usually, this option is checked in order to avoid codec issues between the two call partners - media server transcoding audio data to the proper format. So, if Media Server is down and this option is checked, I expect to don't have audio on any phone.

19. Montclairguy

1 & 2 & 4 - They want me to uninstall 3CX (again), install SP3, and reinstall. I can't do that just to eval this software. SP3 crashed every box we have upon its initial release and install. We had to revert everything back to SP2.

I seriously doubt it is related to a lack of processing power. One of our reps has some kind of dual CPU, quad core setup or something like that. There's nothing out there that can kill it (as of this writing.) He has the same warbling, distortion issue about 10 seconds into the calls.

Update: I suppose that last paragraph may be somewhat irrelevant as the machine hosting the PBX and skype gateway is handling all the processing. What are the system requirements to get clear calls through the skype gateway? Skype itself has no call quality issues on this box.

I would really like to move forward with this application, but don't have too much more time to devote to 3CX's products.

20. Montclairguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.