Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cannot get G729 to Engage

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by swink, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swink

We have a 12.5 system connected to Flowroute as the SIP provider. The handsets are Yealink T-23G, which are 729 capable.

We have the Flowroute port set to prefer G729 over G711. We have the handsets set to prefer G729 over G711. Yet, every single call we make seems to end up using 80Kbps in each direction, which doesn't seem to be G729 at all.

I also configured one of the handsets to use ONLY G729 and basically it ceased making phone calls at all (leading me to believe the 3CX system is never connecting by G729).

This system is a 16 call system with 8 G729 channels available.

Michael

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't know if you read this article, http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/bandwidth- ... -for-voip/ paying attention to the end, where it is recommended that only the trunks be set to use that Codec. I'm wondering if the issue you are having is because you are attempting to set the phones to g729 rather than letting the PBX transcode?

3. swink

I did see that one - and these extensions are remote to the 3CX server as it mentions.

The server itself is in a datacenter with tremendous Internet bandwidth. I therefore would like to get the server using G711 to the SIP provider (because bandwidth is no issue) and then transpose to G729 whenever possible to the handset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.