Solved Cannot install 3CX Client for IOS

Discussion in 'iOS' started by ABerndt, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABerndt

Hi - We are currently on version 15.5.1694. I had a new employee start today and we downloaded the 3CX client for IOS and we cannot configure it as it is looking for a QR code that isn't available with our version of the phone system...is that correct? Can we somehow generate a QR code or can we download a previous version of the 3CX client? Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @ABerndt
    Sorry, I don't undestand why he/you don't use the old, "classic" way of the "Welcome eMail" ?

Later edit:
    The QR code is available for scanning via extension's Webclient, please watch the demo:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ABerndt

We did use the Welcome Email. When double clicking on the attachment, the iPhone says the file extension is invalid. I watched this video and I do not have the 'Scan QR Code option available in the Web Client.
    upload_2018-1-10_15-17-26.png

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

"File extension is invalid" - this is something new... It's the iOS's message or mail program's one? What's the mail program you use, iPhone's default Mail app?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ABerndt

I think it is the iPhone's mail program that is giving the error. I am used to being asked where I want to download the file to. I have another user that is having problems with his iPhone 3CX app (it is not receiving calls anymore) and I don't him to uninstall and reinstall it until I can make sure he can use it.

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry, I will have to ask tomorrow my teammates for help - we started develop the client since iOS 4 and, honestly, I don't remember to had any report about "File extension is invalid" since we introduced the .3cxconfig attachment. To me, it sounds like the 3CX client not being installed (which, of course, is not the case)... We'll check tomorrow.

7. ABerndt

Thank you. I look forward to hearing back from you.

8. ABerndt

The user was still here and I got this screen shot of the error on his phone. Maybe it will help.

3CX Error.jpeg

9. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

From what app's is that screenshot? To me it doesn't look like iPhone's Mail, never saw it. Can you show me the screenshot of how the attachement's icon looks in welcome email lin Mail's app (scroll down to bottom of the page)? It should have the 3CX icon and, when you tap it, iOS will display a popup menu containing Message, Mail, blablabla, Copy to 3CX.

10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I attached two screenshots as example

Attached Files:

11. ABerndt

Unfortunately he is gone...and will travel back home tomorrow. The attachment wasn't at the bottom of the email like I am used to seeing, it was at the top like an attachment.

12. Simon Hardacre

Hello, I had a user experiencing this issue with the exact same "File format is not supported" screen today. She was using the Outlook for iOS app. I had her use the default mail app instead and she was able to open the attachment successfully.

Vali_3CX likes this.
  13. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@Simon Hardacre
    Thanks for your feedback, very helpful, good to know!

Simon, I have a question: on ABerndt's screenshot above, what's on the top-right looks like the "send" Apple icon - what's that for? Maybe that one provide you the option to let iOS decide how to handle the Outlook-unknown extension file.

Why I'm asking:
    me, as a developer, I can make an application - say, binary viewer - which is able to open, obviously, ALL extensions - xml,, jpg, mp4, 3cxconfig - but (again, obviously) as hex text. But, if I pass the file's path to the iOS via (like shell open) open:file_path, then iOS will check for file association and will launch associated application, if any. So, I'm expecting Outlook to have such feature.

Thanks
    vali

14. Simon Hardacre

Hi Vali,
    You're correct; hitting that button provides options to send the file using Message, Mail, Add to Notes, or "Copy to 3CX". I guess Outlook is trying to preview the file on the first screen rather than allowing the OS to handle it directly.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Attached Files:

15. ABerndt

Thank you Simon. I will share this information with the user and see if this works. We are no longer at the same location so I will have to try explain it over email. I appreciate all of the help!

16. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Thank you both for feedback, good to know!

17. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@ABerndt
    I forgot: you mentioned your WebClient not showing the QR code - you need to update your PBX to SP2, 15.5.0 doesn't has the QR feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.