Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cannot press buttons

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mtheory3cx, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtheory3cx

I recently set up 8 Yealink T20P phones on 3CX Version 11. 3CX V11 is running on Windows 7Abyss. All the phones were registered manually without, as there was not an option for DHCP option 66. All the phones in the office register and work fine except one.

At one extension, the user cannot press any buttons on his phone. He can receive incoming calls just fine and the system shows he is registered. I have reformated his phone, re-registered, upgraded the firmware (not to the latest, but at least to same one the others have--9.61.0.85), and still no luck.

What would cause a phone not to be able to push any buttons? For example (he can't even dial out because when he presses a number, it does not appear on his screen and there is no tone). He can't change the volume either.

Any thoughts?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It may be a faulty set, or a fault in the firmware/programming. In either case, I would try a complete reset of the phone and start from square one.

If there is a separate power adapter, you may want to swap that as well. It might also be a loose/dirty connector (keypad?), inside.

If all else fails you may have to consider that the phone, itself, is faulty. An attempt to install it on another system with auto-provisioning, with the same results would pretty much confirm that.

3. mtheory3cx

Thanks for the response Leejor. The thing is, this handset had no problems until I upgraded to V11. It was on V10 2 days ago and I upgraded it to V11 yesterday. Now all of a sudden, it's the only phone in the office having issues. I've factory reset the phone, upgraded the firmware, rebooted the phone and no luck at all. The phone does not hear a dial tone when the handset is picked up and dialing any numbers/buttons produces no sounds or actions.

I had a similar issue before, which got fixed but I was never able to narrow it down. For more background info, it's a 3CX V11 with NexVortex as a VoIP provider, and it's sitting behind a Netgear router. I've disabled SIP/ALG as well.

I'm stumped.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If all of the other sets are working correctly, and the problem is just this one set, it sort of points to the phone itself. If all of the phones stopped working, then, I'd have to agree that the upgrade had affected them somehow.

You did change out the power supply?

5. mtheory3cx

I haven't yet. There's not a spare around so I'll have to order one. But he's able to receive calls fine. I call the extension and asked the user to press buttons while we were talking and I did not hear anything. Could this be related to DTMF?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I doubt it, as you've said that the display shows nothing when the buttons are pressed. If it were my phone, after trying a new power supply, and if it were not still under warantee, I would take it apart and check to see how the keypad is connected to the rest of the internal workings (circuit board). There may be a ribbon cable that has come loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.