Cannot Register External Extention

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rpn84, Aug 11, 2007.

1. rpn84

Hi,

This is all new to me and I need a bit of help please with setting up my system to register an external extention.

I am running version 3.1.2434 of 3cx on SBS 2003 and have managed to get up and running with X-lite softphones on my internal network but I want to give an extention to a party out side of my network.

I also have a dynamic dyndns account that I use to map my dynamic external IP do a domain name. This is working well at the moment for small website I host. I would like to know how I can set my domain name in 3cx software so that I can have users connect using names like sip1@fqdn?

I have port forwarding set up on my dlink DSL-504T router which is the gateway to my network, for all the necessary ports specified in the 3cx documentation. I have also got stun.3cx.com set as my stun server but when I try and register my external extention, X-lite throws back a timed out message. Could some one please point me in the right direction?

I should also mention that my sbs has 2 nic's. Dont know if this makes any difference??? I was kind of curious if this was the issue? How does the 3cx software know which nic to listen on? Seems like it is only listning for registration requests on port 5060 of the internal nic...

Thanks in advance.

2. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

One NIC card is Enough.
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually one nic is better, as far as I know it is not really good in handling 2 nics (unless you have MS ISA installed or similar I would stick to 1 NIC).

You can do full domain dialing using SIP address dialing, that should not be a problem as long it is configured correctly which can be fiddly, but you can handle that for sure.

Let us know how you go.

4. rpn84

:?
    After another week of testing I still cant get an external EXT to register :-(
    I gather from the last two posts that my network card setup is probably th source of my problem but it's not really an option for me to remove one of the network cards. Does anyone know how to work around this limitation? surely there must be a way to tell 3cx software which nic to listen to?

5. etm_ltd

Hi rpn84,
    As I remember SBS 2003 works very well with 2 nics.

May be you ISA? Told us so you will have to open ports and create rules in ISA.
    If not delivered with ISA, have you seen to open right ports directly to the nic you use to connect to Internet. I do not remember where to search since we have left SBS because we can not use it for TSE.

6. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

I disagree with everyones comments here regarding 1 nic only for a very important reason. we seperate our network traffic into seperate voice and data vlans on the switch. In the smb space most clients cannot justify a layer 3 switch, but a layer 2 smart switch would fit the bill. Running dual nics allows up to seperate traffic and thereby optimize both our voice and data provisioning.

3cx seems to listen natively on all ports. I would like to limit it to listen on a single card, but have yet to figure out how, nor has it had a negative impact on my system.

7. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

you might have also overlooked this but have you changed the extension options to indicate that "DEVICE IS EXTERNAL"?

I know I overlooked this when I first started using 3cx and that fixed my whole problem.

8. rpn84

Its been ages since I posted, but I a happy to report that my issue has gone after upgrading to the latest version of 3cx software. I believe the problem was that upon installation of the old 3cx software it was binding its self to my internal NIC, but upon installing the new software, all by its self it binded to my external NIC. I wish there was an option in the 3cx installer to allow you to choose which NIC to listen on.