Cannot send / receive Fax - PAP2-NA

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by henington, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henington

I have an analog fax machine that I have set up as a fax extension in 3cx. Incoming calls to the fax DID are routed to the fax and it answers but no faxes are ever sent or received. My provider is Broadvox and they moved our line to a new platform to better support faxing. Between 3cx, PAP2, and Braodvox somewhere there is a problem. Any ideas where to start? I assume to start with the pap2, but i could spend forever there if thats not the problem. Phone calls via the pap2 work fine.

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

PAP-2T is not supporting fax or at least is not understanding T.38.
    Most probably Broadvox is using T.38 as fax protocol and 3CX is not able to negotiate the older T.30 (i.e. G.711a/µ) for the session.
    You can easily debug it with wireshark or check and ask Broadvox to disable T.38.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

The only supported FAX option in 3CX is inbound t.38 fax to the 3CX Fax Server. 3CX does not support hooking up an external fax machine and there is no support for outbound faxing at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. henington

3cx told me to have my provider turn ON t.38 for fax to email (3cx fax)

so do I need it ON or OFF? I understand 3cx doesnt support outbound fax at all, does that mean it just absolutely wont work or should i be able to continue with messing with things and eventually get fax service?

I really dont care about outbound fax, but I would like inbound faxing to work.

5. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

This means either you forward your incoming T.38 faxes to 3CX system fax extension (fax to email) or using T.30 (forced by provider) to VoIP gateway (PAP-2T or other device, SPA-2102/3102 are also T.38 compliant).

I have a T.38 provider with SPA-2102/3102 working fine using T.38 with other IP PBX. I don't see a reason why incoming / outgoing T.38 fax will not pass through to/from T.38 capable device connected in 3CX (i.e. SPA-2102/3102).

In your case, if the PAP-2T worked before with your provider, means T.38 fax was not used. If you don't care / need outgoing faxes -- try using the system fax extension (to email) and ask the provider for T.38 switched on (more reliable).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.