Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cannot view Log Files from previous version

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MarkNance, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkNance

I am attempting to open logs with the Bin Log Viewer that I have off loaded onto another system. I have the .BLREC files and normally I could use the .BLDEF file in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Logs (copy the file to directory the .BLREC is stored in) to open the log files. Our 3CX updated to V 15.5 SP3 over the weekend and now this is not working.
    I no longer have a .BLDEF from the SP2 install. We've been troubleshooting a long running issue at a customer site and I need to get back into these historical logs.
    Any suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AH2

AH2 New Member

3. MarkNance

No, although I also have that issue, the issue I'm referring to is using the 3CXBinLogViewer application to view logs detailed/verbose log information from .BLREC files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    AH2 likes this.
  4. AH2

AH2 New Member

Thanks for the correction, my mistake ;)

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@MarkNance
    The .bldef and .blrec files need to be "in sync" with each other. When the system automatically archives the .blrec and .bldef files, they maintain the older data, but sometimes there are processes that keep the .bldef file locked and it doesn't get copied, resulting in the file loosing the bindings with the older archived .blrec files.

1 thing to check is if there is a .bldef file in a different subfolder of the "Backup" folder that may open the .blrec files you want.

Just a note to others that might read this, remeber that the .bldef and .blrec files must be copied into the some folder when attempting to open them

If this doesn't work there are 2 things I have mind you could try.

If you are familiar with Bin Log Viewer and have used it extensively before, the .blrec file can be opened with a text editor like Notepad++. You won't have the fancy filters, but the data should be there.

The other thing you could try, but it does not always work, is to copy the .blrec files you want to open into a temp folder and the current .bldef into the same one. Edit the .bldef file and find the references to the .blrec files and change the files names to those of the .blrec files you want to open. Save the file and try opening again (remember to adjust the date in Bin Log Viewer!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.