• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Can't add an extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

thassani

Reaction score
Hi I'm running Version 6.1.0 and was trying to add some extensions for new hires.

When I try to create the extension I get the following pop up window:
Extension number is in use. Type another one.

I know the extension is not is use as I checked in the other drop down list for the DID etc. I've tried different extensions. I've also tried to delete an extension and add it back.

I can modify an existing extension but not add a new extension. I'm wondering if my install has become corrupted because I also have another issue where after a reboot the 3CX server it is unable to transfer calls to the exchange server. The only way I have found to fix it is to change the exchange server definition from a hostname to an IP. I have to do this now every time I reboot the server.

If I was to do a backup and then reinstall would the issue be transfered over? I don't want to have to rebuild the system from scratch.

I've also checked the logs and can't find anything indicating the problem. This system was orignally install as version 5 and then upgraded. Extensions have been added since the upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

You might wanna give us some information on like which extensions are you trying to enter that are already in use?
Are you using a 2 Digit PBX ? 3Digit? Which is it?

As far as the Problems you are having with the PBX, you might wanna try the new Version 7 :p

Hi sorry for the slow reply.

We currently have 4 digit extensions. I did not want to upgrade to version 7 just yet. I've not had any problems with this before but I have not being doing many additions but mainly changes to existing extension so I don't know when the problem started.

I have purchase a license for version 7 for another site but I'm having some authentication issues with our gateway which I need to call Patton on.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

What are the extension numbers you are trying to type in and add?

regards

Hi. I dont know if you allready upgraded before from a different version to 6. Maybe there went something wrong in the past.
If I were you i would make a backup. Reinstall 3CX and install the 'backup' again. I think that that can help alot.

Well I've left it for a while then had the same problem setting up a different PBX with version 7.

I want to post this because it is not obvious.

The problem ended up being the conferencing feature was enabled. It appears when you enable conferencing the extension you specify is reserved as well as one extension for every room you allow. These don't show up anywhere I could easily find. On version 7 you can see the extensions registering in the server log.

I'm not sure how to do a feature request but there should be some way to specify what extensions the conference feature uses or at least view which extensions are being currently reserved.

700-704 = Conference Extensions
888 = Fax Extension
999 = Voice Mail

These extensions you wont be able to add.

In your case in the 4 Digit Extension PBX they change to:

7000-7004

My Advice is to use anything but those Numbers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.