• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

can't call with 3cxphone for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

asinshesq

Customer
Reaction score
I have 3cx 12.5 running on a laptop (all working well) and I just installed 3cx phone for windows 12.5 on that same laptop. It seemed to install and configure fine, and it correctly shows up in the 3cx console "3cxPhone Clients" tab as having been assigned to extension 10 (my personal extension on which I have a t46g phone).

Everything looks fine, and the 3cxphone dial pad is up and running and reporting that it is extension 10 (kitchen) available. But when I try to use it to call, I hear the tones as I click numbers but when I am done dialing and click "call" it doesn't call. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

You have two logs to check for error messages that will help in solving this. There is the 3CX server log in the PBX, and a (was called a debug log) in the 3CX phone. There may be an issue arising from running both on the same machine.

Do you have audio input and output devices correrctlly selected in client?

Thanks to both of you. I did check the 3cx server activity log (checking all levels including verbose and refreshing right after attempts to call out via the softphone), and there are absolutely no entries about this there. Interestingly, when someone calls in 3cxPhone pops up on the screen and correctly identifies the call so something is working (just not calling). I was unable to find the log for 3cxphone itself...any idea where that is?

I checked the audio options and in each case it is set to primary sound driver. I note that when I am dialing the numbers the tone for each dialed number comes out of the laptop speaker fine so it seems like 3cxphone is connecting to the speaker ok.

asinshesq said:
I was unable to find the log for 3cxphone itself...any idea where that is?

Haven't yet tried out some of the newer releases of the 3CX phone (for Windows), so it may have moved. it used to appear in a menu when you clicked on the "button" in the bottom centre of the phone. It was called debug, as I recall.

What server IP do you have the phone set to use (register with)? Are you using a different local IP, other than 5060, as the PBX uses that on the same LAN IP.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/how-to-run-3cx-phone-and-3cx-phonesystem-on-the-same-host-20923.html

The new version of 3ccphone doesn't have that debug button (or at least I can't find it). I tried changing the 3cxphone ip to localhost and that didn't help. Are you suggesting that I force a port other than 5060? How would I do that...by editing the ip in the 3cxphone account settings to say 127.0.0.1:5061? And is there a way to tell 3cx that that is the port I am using? It occurs to me that maybe I have made a mistake by assigning 3cxphone to the same extension as a real extension on my system (one that has a t46g on it). Should I instead give 3cxphone a unique extension? If I have time I will play with this and report back...but in the meantime if you have any ideas they are always appreciated.

Alan

asinshesq said:
Are you suggesting that I force a port other than 5060? How would I do that...by editing the ip in the 3cxphone account settings to say 127.0.0.1:5061? And is there a way to tell 3cx that that is the port I am using?

You could change the settings on the 3CX phone to ports 5061, that may be an issue. i have never attempted to run the phone on the same device as the server, that doesn't make sense, to me, unless you have no other option whatsoever. When registering, the local port is passed onto the sever and that will be the port used for communication back to the device.

asinshesq said:
It occurs to me that maybe I have made a mistake by assigning 3cxphone to the same extension as a real extension on my system (one that has a t46g on it). Should I instead give 3cxphone a unique extension?

This might be an issue but you can have more than one extension, with the same configuration, in use at the same time (SIP forking). You have to allow more than one call at a time in the extension settings (in the PBX). That said, if extension 10 is busy calling extension 10, and you have it set to allow for one call (PBX status), then the destination would be seen as busy and the call should go off to voicemail, if enabled. If you are doing a test set-up, I see no reason to have your (only?) two extensions set up using the same number.

Thank you leejor for the info. Had the same problem but it works now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyass.b
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.