Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

can't get my phones to dial out via patton gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by asinshesq, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asinshesq

Hi. I'm new to 3cx and to voip more generally so I am probably doing something stupid. Here's the story:

1. I have two yealink voip phones on my lan and they can call one another through 3cx.

2. I am trying to add a patton 4112 gateway (with two fxo ports) to the system in order to allow my phones to dial via my analog phone service.

3. I gave the patton 4112 a static ip on my lan and 3cx can communicate with it.

4. I used the add PSTN gateway button on 3cx to add the patton 4112 to my system and I then took the config file 3cx generated and uploaded that to the patton 4112...that all seemed to go well.

5. During the process of adding the gateway I created an outbound rule saying use the gateway if the number starts with 9 (and I had it strip one digit so it wouldn't send the 9 out to my phone service).

But when I try dialing 9 and a number on my voip phones it fails and the phone displays a message saying it encountered a server error.

Note that I only have one outside line so I only have a rj11 cable going from fx0 0/0 to the phone line (nothing from fxo 0/1). After this failed, I tried disabling port fxo 0/1 but that didn't help either.

I looked into the log and it looks like I'm getting most of the way there but something goes wrong. Here's the log of a call:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. asinshesq

Here's another data point: Incoming calls route through the gateway to the phones perfectly so at least that part of things is working. I also note from the log above that the final entry before termination is a 502 bad gateway. What's that telling me...is the patton defective?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bardissi

bardissi Member

I ran into this exact same issue this week.

Go to the patton website and download the newest firmware for the patton.

Then go to the web console and upload it and reboot.
    (you dont need to unzip)

That will fix it.

4. asinshesq

Thanks. That seemed like the answer, but I downloaded the march 2014 version of the firmware, uploaded it to the patton 4112, let it rebbot and then tried it again and same result: incoming calls get routed fine but when I dial an outgoing call using my '9' outgoing rule the phone says I encountered a server error and the log says 502 bad gateway. Any other thoughts? Is this likely to be my configuration or bad hardware?

Here's the latest log for when I try to dial out (I think it's the same as before but just in case...):

5. bardissi

bardissi Member

re download your config from 3cx and re upload and reboot

6. asinshesq

Thanks again! But after I did that the gateway no longer shows up as registered when I click ports/trunks, and neither inbound nor outbound works. Must be missing something simple...

7. asinshesq

And, I see the gateway is getting blacklisted for too many failed authentications, which suggests that the credentials don't match. But I left all passwords and other parameters as the defaults when I generated the config file so I would have thought that the 3cx and the 4112 authenticaion details would match. And when I go into the patton reports area and look at startup config I see the same username and password for the ports that I have in the 3cx so things should match. What am I missing now?

8. asinshesq

I continue to have the authentication problem. It occurred to me that I could whitelist the ip for the gateway to see if that would work as a temporary fix, so I went into the security blacklist place (it does not say whitelist/blacklist) and I added an entry for allow that ip. I then rebooted and it still didn't work, and when I went back to the security blacklist place I see that allow has been turned back to deny.

Any ideas for fixing the authentication issue or creating a more durable whitelist entry?

9. bardissi

bardissi Member

delete the gateway out of the 3cx and start from scratch.

go through the wizard and reimport into patton

10. asinshesq

Right, I've done that multiple times. I even did a factory reset and re-configure / re-import, but the same result each time. Some bad setting seems to survive the gateway deletion in 3cx and new configuration in the gateway. Really odd.

11. asinshesq

Ok, partial success (at least I got back to where I was). It turns out that I flashed to patton 4112 firmware that was too recent. The March 5, 2014 version does not register with 3cx but I flashed back to the January 9, 2015 version and it registers fine. Incoming calls now get routed to my voip phones perfectly (as they did at the beginning of this process). But, I still can't dial out. When I try, the phone gives a message of temporarily unavailable and the server activity log reads as follows:

The log claims the target is not registered, but when I click 'ports/trunks status' it reports that both virtual ports for this gateway are registered (and if they were not registered why would I be receiving incoming calls via the gateway). Any further suggestions?

12. bardissi

bardissi Member

You could always try to downgrade to an even older firmware to see what happens.

13. asinshesq

Will try, but won't be at the location with this equipment for another few weeks. You had said earlier you had the same issue and fixed it by upgrading to more recent firmware than the one you originally had. Any chance you know which version worked for you?

14. bardissi

bardissi Member

SmartWare 6.5 Build Series 2014-03-05

FYI Patton does offer free support if you want to do down that route

http://www.patton.com/support/

15. asinshesq

Just to close this out, the problem was that the patton was ip blacklisted in 3cx. I knew the patton was showing up on the blacklist and kept deleting it from the blacklist, but what I didn't know is that when you delete an entry from the blacklist you need to scroll down and click the ok button. Even though the entry seems to disappear from the blacklist without doing that, the deletion doesn't actually take effect unless you click the ok button.

Patton support was great...they used team viewer and putty to directly access my pc and troubleshoot, and they were the ones that told me the ip blacklist trick.

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I had a couple of ATA's that, for some reason, would get themselves on the IP Blacklist every so often. I put the entire local IP range (of VoIP devices) on the "whitelist", as I trust all internal devices. This way, in the security settings, you can lower the number of failed authentications it takes before being IP blacklisted, for external devices (hack attempts), yet keep internal devices from ending up on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.