• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Can't make calls from external soft IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobidutch

Reaction score
I have my 3CX server running on internal IP 192.168.22.3. I use DynDNS.org to register my external IP address (myaddress.dyndns.org). I have two extensions:
- 10: a local Cisco IP phone
- 20: a soft IP phone

I can succesfully register the soft IP phone when I'm away from home using myaddress.dyndns.org as the proxy. But when I try to make an outbound call, it always fails. A peek in the server log shows that when I make a call from extension 10 to e.g. number 123-456-7890, it shows:

Incoming call from Ext. 10 to <sip:[email protected]>

But when I make that call from the soft IP phone, it shows:

Incoming call from Ext. 20 to <sip:[email protected]>

I think perhaps that this is making it skip the outbound rules, and the call fails? Any ideas how I should configure the use of a soft IP phone extension when I'm away from my home office? Thx!

Do you have STUN enabled on the external softphone? In the 3CX logs you should see the public IP and port when the external extension registers.

I am using the fring app on an iPhone over 3G, I have WiFi disabled for this test. The 3CX server log shows the registration of the fring SIP profile with the external IP address that I don't recognize (I blanked out the last two numbers):

Code:
Ext.20: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:[email protected]:53279;transport=udp/30]

It's not the public IP address of my iPhone. It is also not the WAN address of my router (myaddress.dyndns.org), even though THAT is what I specified as the proxy address in the SIP profile of the fring app. Perhaps it's a STUN server address? Either way...I can't figure out how to make an outbound call from the fring app work. It works fine when I use the local IP adress of my 3CX server as the proxy while I'm connected via WiFi at home.

Your phone specifies this IP address... You should know more about what this address is...

Thanks

SY said:
Your phone specifies this IP address... You should know more about what this address is...

Thanks
You would think so...but I can't figure it out. My WAN IP address for my home router is in the 69.155.x.x range. My iPhone has an external IP address assigned in the 166.205.x.x range. Yet my 3CX server log shows that the fring app on the iPhone registers as [sip:[email protected]:52756;transport=udp/30,sip:[email protected]:52867;transport=udp/30]

I have absolutely no clue where this 172.16.x.x address is coming from...

mobidutch said:
SY said:

Thanks
You would think so...but I can't figure it out. My WAN IP address for my home router is in the 69.155.x.x range. My iPhone has an external IP address assigned in the 166.205.x.x range. Yet my 3CX server log shows that the fring app on the iPhone registers as [sip:[email protected]:52756;transport=udp/30,sip:[email protected]:52867;transport=udp/30]

I have absolutely no clue where this 172.16.x.x address is coming from...

The IP address which is specified in log message

Ext.20: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:[email protected]:53279;transport=udp/30]

is exact information what was provided by entities which are mentioned in the quoted posts.

Thanks

P.S. 172.16.x.x is the range of addresses used by your home network, isn't it? You specify a lot of entities but didn't specify location of PBX. Could you please extend information as requested in http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html?

No...my home LAN uses the 192.168.22.x range. The router is at 192.168.22.1, the PBX at 192.168.22.3. Don't have anything in 172.x.x.x, but could it be that some STUN server uses that address?

172.16.x.x is one of the Private Addresses defined by RFC 1918. So this address is behind some sort of a NAT device.

comresource said:
172.16.x.x is one of the Private Addresses defined by RFC 1918. So this address is behind some sort of a NAT device.
Hmmm....must be an AT&T "feature". So I'm wondering if there IS a way to use a SIP client on my iPhone to register as an extension on my PBX, so that i can use my VOIP provider (CallCentric) to make overseas calls. CallCentric does not support multiple clients to directly register to the same account, unfortunately.

Have you tried using Fring through the WiFi of your iPhone on a LAN (hotspot) other than your own.

leejor said:
Have you tried using Fring through the WiFi of your iPhone on a LAN (hotspot) other than your own.
No ot yet..I'll have that opportunity early next week when I'm travelling. Will give that a shot, and see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.