Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

can't make calls outside of office network

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by teh_spartan, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teh_spartan

I have a 3cx server that i want to connect to externally via 3G and wifi hotspots using a soft phone (ground wire). but when I use a domain name or public ip instead of the ip address of the server on my network I cannot make calls. however my phone still registers on the server. I have all udp and tcp ports open.

oh and my phone does work on my office network, incase that was not clear.

when i attempt to make calls from this phone (Ext: 100) to another phone (Ext: 102) it wont connect the call. below are the logs from the same senario (I censored the domains and IPs for security reasons)
    Code:
    19:37:54.734  [CM502001]: Source info: From: "Ext 100"<sip:100@www.domain.com>;tag=9CB9BCB323A8235051A228DC1E55A116<sip:102@www.domain.com>

19:37:54.734  [CM503013]: Call(50): Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown; msg=SipReq:  INVITE 102@www.domain.com tid=SvHR71unxp59NeFC cseq=INVITE contact=100@Phones_IP:50033 / 2 from(wire)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So you are able to make calls from outside the network when using what IP? Does the http://www.domain.com represent the domain of 3CX? Did you datafill your domain name in 3CX? It's in Settings/Advanced/Settings for Direct SIP Calls/Local SIP Domain. You are sure that your sets are able to access a DNS server to get the public IP from the domain name?

Just saw you response in the other (Ver 9) category. You need to put a STUN server (in the red space, going by your post). You can use any STUN server including the 3CX one...stun.3cx.com

3. teh_spartan

i cant make calls useing my external ip or domain.

i didnt do the data fill either.

i tryed useing the stun.3cx.com

thanks i will get back to you in a few

4. teh_spartan

Thank you it was the datafill. it was set to the internal ip I did not realize that would make a difference!
    :lol: how foolish of me

But now instead of error i get Unauthorized. on my phone

5. teh_spartan

all right i restarted the server this morning

Now I can place calls using 3G but I get no audio. the log says "no RDP audio was received" (this was with 3G) I think this might be because I don't have the right codec. my app suggests that I buy a 3G specific codec (G.729 Annex A) first i need to check if it is supported by 3CX. Today I will be able to try using a remote wifi connection. I can't wait to try! I will reply with an update as soon as i get a chance.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

No audio means that there are ports being blocked/packets not getting through. In your case, where you are just placing calls from one remote extension to another, you can try one of two things...work on the firewall/router at the 3CX end (did you run the firewall checker?) or you can try changing the settings in 3CX for each extension. There is an option, PBX delivers audio, if unchecked, the audio packets should go directly from one set to another. That might fix your problem without mucking with the firewall.

It could also depend on what sort of router/firewall each remote extension is behind. Audio doesn't use ports 5060,5061, etc., others are involved.

7. teh_spartan

it also failed on wifi.

I have no firewall protecting my server (just for debuging) and PBX delivers audio was not checked for any extention. even though all ports are open. but it fails phase 2a (checking port 5060). i think this is odd because thats the port phones use to register right?

and when i run my services and use canyouseeme.org Open Port Checker it shows that everything is fine.
    [​IMG]

also i noticed that my phone wont show up in the list of remote extensions it registers as a local extension. could that be the problem?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The extension should show up under Extension Status, then show either registered or not. Post the 3CX log showing the remote extension registering. Just XX out the first few IP digits and or URL.

9. teh_spartan

I am posting both the logs from 3CX and Groundwire (my soft phone)I am hesitant to post all of this text so I will attach it instead. I Restarted the phone system and coppied the logs. 3CX doesn't seem to be making contact with the stun servers (stun.3cx.com). I guess I never really noticed it till now, I was too busy reading the other parts of the log.

excerpt from "3CX log.txt" attachment
    Code:
    10:31:43.154  [CM506004]: STUN request to STUN server 96.9.132.83:3478 has timed out; used Transport: 192.168.0.245:5060

Attached Files:

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would concentrate, for the time being, on figuring out why 3CX can't get through to the STUN server. You can use any STUN server, and there are a number if you do a web search. It looks like it is trying both of the 3CX STUN servers so I'm assuming that it is a problem at your end and not theirs. You might try pinging the IP or URL from the PC running 3CX to see if you can get through. Could be a blocked port or DNS server access issue (if you can ping the IP and not the URL). Did you run the firewall test built into 3CX?

11. teh_spartan

when i ping the STUN servers I get responses well within the timeout time of 6,000 ms. Can I use my domain as my public ip and use that instead of STUN or must i use a numerical ip address because i can get around that buy running my ddns through my web server and use that static ip, unfortunately that would mean routing the call from NY to Germany back to the phone.

I have run the firewall checker and it Fails every time on step 2a checking port 5060 and i know that is false because for 3 reasons.

1. My phone registers on the server using port 5060 from 3G
    2. When services are running, Open Port Checker Tool on http://www.canyouseeme.org/ can see services running on 5060,5061,
    3. When i use open port checker on my mac 5060 is open

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

STUN doesn't necessarily have to be on in 3CX. I run it, but there have been times when people have had to turn it off. Not knowing your setup, I don't know what is best in your situation. It just might be an indicator that there are other issues that are leading to your problems, same thing with the 3CX firewall checker failing on port 5060. Not sure what you mean about running your public domain instead of STUN. STUN is a tool to be used when there is NAT involved. It allows devices to discover what they are behind. If you were to put 3CX on a public IP, NOT behind a router, then there would be no need for STUN.

If you are able to run 3CX that way as a test, then try it.

If all of your troubles vanish, then you know that they were caused by your router/firewall.

I'm curious why you need a DDNS service if you already have a public domain? Are you dealing with more than one public IP, is one not static?

You might be able to confirm that port 5060 is open, using other tests, however, the important thing is that 3CX thinks that it isn't. There has to be a reason for that, and that reason may be causing "other" undesired things to be happening.

13. teh_spartan

sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.