Can't Page or Intercom a Ring-Group

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by patrickrivard, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickrivard

patrickrivard New Member

We have many different Ring-Group set up, and they all work as intended, but when we try to "Page" or "Intercom" to those Ring-Group's virtual ext it does not work... The Call just cut... If it is done through a 3Cx phone we get an error message "Internal Server Error".
    Our Paging DialCode is the default *9; and it works on individual extensions...
    The extensions trying to "Page" the Ring-Group all have the "Can Intercom" checked.
    3CX V12 sp 6.1

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that you've followed these instructions? http://www.3cx.com/docs/ring-groups-paging-intercom/

Did you look at the Server log in Verbose mode, it may give additional information that may aid in troubleshooting. You could post the log if you are still having issues.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You kind of hit the nail on the head when you mentioned "virtual".

You really can't do what you seek with a "virtual" extension, but as you pointed out you can do to true user extensions. Keep in mind that the ring group is merely a collection of extensions that form a membership into the ring group. If you wanted to use paging as a strategy, then what Leejor provides is the way to go, but I get the sense that you are seeking the ability of any extension being able to use the dial code followed by the virtual extension code for a particular ring group.

You could set up ring groups and use paging and merely replicate the members. You should also look in the blog and forum for multicast paging as this may provide additional insight.

4. patrickrivard

patrickrivard New Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I created a new "Ring Group" with the same extension group as the Virtual "Ring Group" with a "Group Extension" number in the same range and made it a "Paging" ring Strategy.
    All is now fine!
    Once again thank you.

5. jasit

jasit New Member

just becareful with the paging groups, you only want a couple people per group because the system has to connect to each phone individually first, so you will hear each phone intercom answer before you can page. If you setup the multicast paging, you can connect to multiple phones without the delay.

as long as your phones support it of course.

jasit

6. fonewiz

Can you explain in more detail what you did to resolve this? I am not quite sure how to duplicate what you did.

7. patrickrivard

patrickrivard New Member

Under "Ring Group" I created new ring groups, making the "Ring Strategy" "Paging" and added the "Extensions" that wanted to the "Members" and Voilà!
    You have to understand that when you page that "Ring Group" the audio is one way only... So you can talk but you cant hear any responses from any of the extensions. But for Public Announcements, this is perfect!

In my case I had three different set of "Extension" ranges because they are in different Physical locations.
    ie: Office (12xx), Manufacturing (22xx), Warehouses (32xx)
    So What I did is created a "Ring Group" (1200) (which by default becomes a "Virtual Extension", Named it "OFFICE ALL" Set the "Ring Strategy" "Paging" and added the "Extensions" that wanted to be pages when dialing this new "Virtual Extension", to the "Members" list.
    So now when someone wants to make a Public Announcement to let's say the Manufacturing plant, they simply have to dial 2200 and they can make the announcement! (Note that it also works with the "Intercom" dial code (*9) in front, but in any case it will ring and then you will hear a TONE. Then you can talk)

Hope this is more precise and helps you or anyone else get this working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.