Can't See Dialed Number on Toll Free Numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jmiller, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmiller

I have three toll free 866 numbers. When a caller dials one of them the call log just shows the description (Marketing 866) rather than the number. The log entry looks like this: WORTHY,BOB :Marketing 866 (+14178873915). I want to know which of my 866 numbers was dialed. I have added the number into the description (now called Marketing 866-xxx-xxxx) for now but ultimately I would think I can get the number dialed. Any help would be appreciated!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Assuming that the dialled number is being sent in the same manner as a DID, and that you are routing the call based on that number (all three TF numbers are coming in on the same trunk group?), then you would handle them in the same manner as DID numbers. In that case, the dialled number is used to direct to a specific extension using inbound rules. The callers number not the called number is more important to the person answering as they already know what was dialled , their phone rang after all.

It may be the same with the toll free number, and adding the number to the name of the inbound rule may be the best solution. The receiving set could be dealing with too much information to be displayed correctly...callers name, callers number, ring group/queue name and dialled number.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/trunk-management/

3. jmiller

They are on the same trunk group. They are handled just like any other DID and route to an inbound ring group that goes to the front desk extension.

If I purchased a third-party reporting tool (ie, VOiP Tools) would I be able to extract the dialed number?

4. daktur

daktur New Member

Have you tried to set 3 different inbound rules where each number is shown on the rule name? It should be an easier way to know which tf number is being called.

I have a problem with one of my providers that even having different access numbers thwy all come Up in using the same did, so I have no way to distinguish where the call is coming from :(

5. jmiller

I do have 3 different inbound rules and have recently added the number into the rule name. It just seems like there should be another field that shows the dialed number. I was wondering if the data is available in the database but just not shown in the call log screen.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a number of options within the trunk settings. But...even if there was a way to substitute the dialled number (being used by the inbound rules) for the calling number, it may be that you get one or the other, not both. Why does adding the number to the rule name, as you have done, not suffice?

#6 leejor, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. jmiller

It does suffice for moving forward but that doesn't help me with the past 5 months of data that I would like to give the marketing manager. The big negative for having the number in the name is it is hard to sort. You have to do some parsing in excel. If you had thousands of calls to go through it would be a big pain and time consuming.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Would it help to sort if the number were put first, then a shortened department name , or code following.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.