Can't update firmware since v15.5 upgrade

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Shane Farmer, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Farmer

I'll use Yealink 29G for example. Phones are on 46.80.0.110. It says that 46.81.0.61 is available.

If I click Firmware, it displays the phone/firmware. If I click OK, it flashes a box and then says it was successful. It's not successful.

I can manually update the firmware through the phone's GUI and it show supported on the phone. I have 60 phones and would rather not have to upgrade them all manually. I just got another 40 phones in, so not sure they version on those, but that'll be around 100 phones total.

I have tried re-provisioning the phones. The setting for Accept Only Trusted Certificates is Disabled on the phone.

I just got a CP860 yesterday and it provisioned just fine and already it up-to-date on firmware.

Template has:
    {IF network=LOCALLAN}
    firmware.url = %%PROVLINKLOCAL%%/firmware/yealink/%%firmware%%
    {ELSE}
    firmware.url = %%PROVLINK%%/firmware/yealink/%%firmware%%
    {ENDIF}

Parameters for provision link:
    http://IPaddress:5000/provisioning
    PROVISIONING_LINK_EXT
    http://hostname:5000/provisioning
    PROVISIONING_LINK_LOCAL_SEC
    https://IPaddress:5001/provisioning
    PROVISIONING_LINK_EXT_SEC
    https://hostname:5001/provisioning

#1 Shane Farmer, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

Seeing this issue on a recent install as well. Firmware Upgrade says successful in the management console, but the phone does a simple reprovision, not a firmware upgrade. Firmware exists in the proper folder in "C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\asdfghjkl;\firmware\yealink" and manually upgrading with that file works.

3. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Do you have access to Yealink RPS? If so, we have a special firmware upgrade server I can let you use if any of the phones in question are T4X series phones. It exists exactly because of this problem. Anything less than the now current version of the firmware has to be done manually. Subsequently upgrading will work but there are two different issues that get in the way with earlier firmware versions: 1. Certificate and 2. CSTA (remote management).

PM me your email address if you want to use the upgrade server.

Best,

Kirk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Best is to reset to factory and start over. Also when you reset, what firmware do you have? Maybe it came with an old or not updated firmware from the factory. IN that case you will need to give it a manual firmware upgrade to bring it inline.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tim942

I don't know how 3CX interacts with other phones, but Yealink phones need to have a minimum firmware to provision via Plug'N'Play. After that, all future firmware upgrades will be distributed via Plug'N'Play provisioning (they stopped writing out the config files a while ago). If PNP is not working correctly, it will never "install" the firmware in v15.

If you are doing a massive upgrade of Yealink phone firmwares, setup a TFTP server and configure your DHCP accordingly. If all of your phones are the same, you can get away with creating a file named "y000000000000.boot"

And put the following inside (please edit in the IP address and file name):

#!version:1.0.0.1
    ## The header above must appear as-is in the first line
    firmware.url = tftp://<IPADDRESS>/<ROMNAME>.rom
    overwrite_mode = 0

Note: TFTP may block future updates as Yealink phones look at TFTP before PNP (at least in my experience). Please remove after mass update.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/yealink-t32g-t38g-t42g-t46g/
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/plug-and-play-ip-phone/
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/managing-ip-phones-endpoints/
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/dhcp-option-66/

#5 tim942, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    jbryant84 likes this.
  6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The reason of this problem is that in V14 the phone did not have the proper certificates (yealink version V80) and we allowed the HTTP provisioning for them. Phones were provisioned to use HTTP URL's.
    When a customer updates to V15, HTTP is not allowed remotely, so the phones still trying to update the config using the HTTP URL's and fail.

You need to factory reset your phones and reprovision them, or go in the phones and update the prov url manually.

Example: From:
    [​IMG]
    To:
    [​IMG]
    save it and re-provision:
    [​IMG]

Its a small price to pay for more added security and peace of mind when migrating from a major version to another.

7. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

I shouldn't have replyed to this thread, I missed the 'after upgrade' bit. We have a fresh V15.5 install with new yealink phones. The T21P E2 came with version 52.81.0.25 and the T48S came with 66.81.0.25. Option 66 is in place and working, a factory reset of the phone will result in the phone provisioning correctly. Pressing the 'Firmware update' button in the console simply does a reprovision, not a firmware update. These phones are on the same subnet as the phone server, no VPN or SBC in place.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Well on the surface yes it looks to you like a reprovision - but a firmware update key press, gets the firmware file you downloaded (latest) and replaces variables in the provisioning file so when you see the re-provision part, it is able to re-provision and see the new firmware, download it and update.

Sometimes phones come with "Factory junk" inside... not sure why.. All phones can have this. Maybe they are seconds and you dont know or maybe they were not resetted properly.

I propose ALWAYS to factory reset a new phone to avoid these loops. Do not trust because you open it from the box, that no one tampered with it before.

Also we dont know what these firmware files contain: 52.81.0.25 or 66.81.0.25. For sure they do not contain changes 3CX requested for Yealink. We started from 0.61 then 118 if I remember correctly - so this is a factory firmware that is a black box. ONe of the earliest that were made to ship the devices with..

9. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

Under normal circumstances, when you press firmware update the firmware download displays on the screen, and the update progress is shown. In this install some phones simply say "Updating Configuration" and a reprovision is done. Some phones have been able to update and others can't, so it could very well be a result of someone monkeying with them before we got them. I will factory reset the affected phones, and if that doesn't work I will open a ticket with support. Appreciate the help.

10. tim942

Running into issues with the Yealink firmware being deployed via 3CX. I am using Custom templates that are almost identical to 3CX's, but it is not updating via PnP with the HTTP deployment (i had been using TFTP for the longest time). If I perform a factory reset on the phone, it will show up on 3CX as an unprovisioned phone, even though I did not remove the association. Re-assigning the phone, 3CX uses it's default template (again, never removed the old association). It gives it the new firmware without any hassle, and then I can just switch it back to my template.

I seen some other posts in the forums where users are disabling "Only Accept Trusted Certificate" and getting success there. So it could be possible there is something cached that is holding us up.

Edit: I'm having no luck with changing the "Only Accept Trusted Certificate" to disabled.

#10 tim942, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  11. tim942

I was not the one that upgraded our system from v14 to v15, but apparently 3CX switched from IIS to NGINX. It looks like my predecessor didn't remove IIS and it is possible I have some conflicts going on (even though NGINX is using 5000). My 3CX is deploying the <MACAddress>.cfg file to the phone, but not the y000000000035.cfg file from my template. Had to resort to using my old tftp for right now (for the firmware as well).

I will try to restore from a backup this weekend and see if that clears up whatever permission/misconfigurations I may have. It will also give me an opportunity to properly change the IP of the server (I did an ad-hoc change to get PnP working after the aforementioned upgrade).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.