Cellular Dialing

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Martin.AIR, Jan 11, 2018.

Cellular Dialing 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. Martin.AIR

Hello

3CX softphone app is great for making calls when out of the office - until you don't have a strong data signal. However, you may have a good cellular signal, just the data may be too slow or unstable. As such, I propose a "dial over cellular minutes" option for smartphone apps.

Here is how it works:

You dial a number
    -App prompts "Cellular or Data"
    --If choosing Data, than continue as it normally does.
    --If choosing Cellular, than:
    ---3CX calls your cell number (mobile number in extension settings)
    ---3CX calls the recipient (number you dialed in the 3CX app)
    ---3CX connects the 2 calls together.

Viola! You are using cellular minutes, the call is passing through 3cx, the caller ID is the 3cx number, and the log shows up in 3cx.

This is kinda possible now by:
    1) Call into voicemail system using cellular minutes (DID to voicemail or similar)
    2) Do an outbound call from the voicemail system (has to be turned on)

But having it in the app, seemless, would be great.

Lev likes this.
  2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

How does the mobile client communicate with 3cx to call your cell number if data is not possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Martin.AIR

You are correct - you will need some cellular data. This is for the (all too common here) situations where your cellular data connection is not stable or cannot handle a call without breaking up.

4. Dbaker

This is a great feature, I have used several other products that offer this as I am out on the road I can not rely on data for calls - quality is not reliable - but to have it dial me on cell then complete call has worked awesome - customer gets my business caller ID - I have reliable cell coverage

5. Lev

Lev New Member

Before i stombled across 3CX i read a lot about "one number concept" and "Fixed Mobile Convergence". I tried out some "solutions" just to find out, that all the softclients - just like 3cx - are hardly relaying on a stable mobile data connection. And that is - by my own experience - not a vialable option in a lot of places, especially for an productive environment.
    So you have to use your normal "fallback" solution and basicly give away your mobile number to everybody you call (which you might not wand - and going to anonymous is simply "not ok" in B2B).
    The only thing i came across, that did this right, was nfon. They have (or had) a pretty good working solution, that worked very well with 2G, because it would only send a small data package to initiate a call and then switch back to GSM. During the call you where even able to use DTMF Codes to redirect a call to another extention etc.

I think its pretty silly, that a lot of companies are propagating "one number concepts" and FMC, but simply do not finish the job right, nor try do understand their customers daily reality needs (which is that 3G "solutions" do not work well enough to be called viable)

+10

#5 Lev, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. simply7

I have used this function on NEC's Univerge 3C platform and it works well. They do have some issues to resolve with it, but for the most part it works great. One thing I think would be helpful is if in 3CX it would become User based and not just extension based. This way you can set up a user with multiple extensions and then have rules or be able to select where the call is sent. So if you know that you will be out of the office and want the calls to come to your mobile number you can change that with the client and disable the calls on the SIP client.