• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

CenturyLink is now Level3 - 3CX SIP Trunk doc for CL still applicable

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpi

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Ref: https://www.3cx.com/docs/centurylink-business-sip-trunk/

I received some Pre-installation info from Level3/CenturyLink regarding setting up a new SIP trunk service. They have some "Key Considerations" for configuring the service and I wanted to make sure what I'm reading from 3CX is still current and correct.

Here's a excerpt from Level3:
Level 3 SIP Trunking Interconnect:
1. Level 3 will only send E. 164 formatted number in INVITEs sent to your equipment. Ex: +13035551212
2. Your equipment must send 10, 11 or E. 164 formatted digits to Level 3. Seven digit dial plans are unsupported.
3. Level 3 requires that your equipment be provisioned to always use the RTP IP Address provided in the SDP messages for
each call. NATs are unsupported.
4. Level 3 uses the IP Port range 5000-28998 for RTP (even numbers) and RTCP (odd numbers) when using public access and
6000-38000 when using VPN access. If you use a firewall, you will need to allow these ranges as appropriate. Non– SIP
aware NATs are unsupported.
5. Level 3 will always send RTP to the address indicated in SDP we receive. RFC 1918 private IPs are only supported when using
VPN transport. NATs are unsupported.
6. Private IPs in SIP headers are only supported with IP-VPN transport.
7. Level 3 recommends a Diversion Header on all forwarded calls that includes the original called number in compliance with
rfc5806. Various problems may occur if Diversion is not included when forwarding calls.
8. The SIP REFER method is unsupported.
9. Level 3 does not send SIP OPTIONS. If SIP OPTIONS are sent to Level 3, we will respond with a 405 Method Not Allowed.
10. Registration is unsupported.
11. Digest authentication is unsupported.
12. A maximum of six sockets are supported with SIP/TCP. Socket reuse is required.

Hello @johnpi

Please note that CenturyLink offer many services. The one tested and supported is the one outlined in the following document.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/centurylink-business-sip-trunk/
Not saying the service you are referring to will not work but it is not the one we have tested and support so we cannot guarantee full compatibility.

Hmm, Yiannis you simply referenced the same document I referenced originally, so that's not helpful. Also, since the merger of CenturyLink and Level3, which just finalized this year, there is in fact only ONE SIP Trunk type of service which the Level3 side of the house handles provisioning of this service They (CenturyLink/Level3) do slice it up into different price points depending on qty of CCP’s (Concurrent Call Path) for the SIP trunk, the call volume and the country called either inbound or outbound. So the document I and you later referenced may be out of date and no longer valid for their, CenturyLink/Level3's SIP Trunk service.

Anyone out there switch over to CenturyLink after they merged with Level3? And if so can you provide any insight? I'm hoping the 3CX document is still valid, but if not I'm hoping someone out there using CL/L3 can provide any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.