Solved Change LAN IP address of 3cx phone system

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Dan Furse, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Furse

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a newbie question, or it's been asked before.

Due to a company merger and some internal changes, we need to entirely re-number the LAN of one of our customers. Public IP and internal/external FQDN are not changing, just the LAN IP.

What is the process for changing the LAN IP address of the 3cx phone system? It is necessary to backup-uninstall-reinstall?

They have Yealink T46 handsets provisioned (via option 66) to the local IP address of the system. Once I change DHCP to hand out the correct new IP range (with option 66 updated to the new provisioning address of the system), will the handsets reconfigure themselves, or will I need to reset to factory first?

Thanks!
    Dan

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You better reinstall your 3CX system. Modifying values in Parameters settings is not recommended, as may result in non-working configuration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tom Rehl

I successfully changed ranges/subnets several months ago (V15) from 192.x to a 172.x. Initially by just going through network settings, and eventually searching through parameters for any evidence of of the 192.x IP and manually making the changes.

No nasty side effects that I could find after a restart or 2.

4. Dan Furse

I did the IP change for the entire network a couple of days ago. I did it by backing up, uninstalling 3cx, changing the IP and then reinstalling/restoring.

I had to reset and reprovision all the handsets and reset/reconfigure their Patton E1 ISDN box too. Remote handsets were fine with no changes needed, so were iPhone clients.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

5. nupton

Tom had it right. Much less invasive than the reinstall.
    Settings/Parameters that need to be checked for possible correction are:
    CMEXTERNALINTERFACE
    DEFAULTLOCALIP
    MSEXTERNALINTERFACE
    SIPDOMAIN2
    TNL_CLIENT_LISTEN_INTERFACE
    WEB_ROOT_LOCAL
    WEB_ROOT_LOCAL_SEC
    MYPHONE_LINK_LOCAL
    MYPHONE_LINK_LOCAL_SEC
    REPORTER_LINK_LOCAL
    REPORTER_LINK_LOCAL_SEC
    PROVISIONING_LINK_LOCAL
    PROVISIONING_LINK_LOCAL_SEC
    MANAGEMENT_LINK_LOCAL
    MANAGEMENT_LINK_LOCAL_SEC

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This has been mentioned in many topics in the forum and the answer still remains the same. The only way to ensure that all parameters have been changed is by creating a backup without license and FQDN un-installing and re-installing using the backup you created.
    There are settings that are not included in the custom parameters of the PBX and may or may not cause you issues in the future.

7. nupton

Thanks YiannisH_3cx, After thinking we had it working we tried to reprovision several handsets and did indeed, find that the system needed to be reinstalled as it now had 2 instances of phone templates one with the old ip address and one with the new, and in order to get the handsets to load the appropriate provisioning link we would have had to delete and recreate all extensions.
    So yep, uninstall and reinstall.
    IP changes are definitely weekend work.

8. nupton

Last post on this I hope. After the reinstall and restore all seemed well until we tested provisioning. The config held onto the last IP and so stopped working. Looked everywhere in config files, and couldn't find the reference. Deleting and recreating extension fixed it, but kind of unwilling to do so for 145 extensions. Export and import of exts would also not save the forwarding and VM.
    Opened another case with support.

9. Patrick Hogan10

That's alright, Dan. It's normal to ask some newbie questions when you're... er... new. But thanks to you for bringing this up. Good job to the 3CX support team who immediately answered to this question. Huge help indeed.

10. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @nupton and thank you for the update,
    If you did not include license and FQDN in your backup no IP information should have come over.
    Since you opened a support case let us know of the results

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.