Change outbound caller ID with a * code

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by psychobunny83, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychobunny83

Hi everyone,

When we used Asterisk I could set different caller ID by outbound route. So for example we'd have 1 SIP provider, where by default it might show the extensions name on the caller ID, so JOHN SMITH. However I could then set it that if you dialed *123 before the number, it would use a different outbound route, still the same SIP provider, but the caller ID could change to "SUNSHINE INC." etc or a different name.

When I make a second outbound route in 3CX I don't see any way to modify the Caller ID. I could register a second SIP Trunk from the same provider and set the caller ID on that one, but just wanted to see if there was a proper way to do it first before I register a second SIP trunk. Thanks!

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Create second trunk with different caller-id and use additional outbound rule to select that trunk. No simpler way. Other option is to create different extension with different caller-id and use it (on a deskphone with several accounts).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. psychobunny83

Thanks, yeah the issue is the deskphone only supports 1 account, it's the Polycom Trio 8800 conference phone but sometimes we want to be able to dial out and have it show the name of the person that uses it but once in awhile have it show the company name, so I'll do that.

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Several trunks with different outbound rules. This is the legacy way.
    The other option is a trick using loop trunks to make outbound calls on behalf of different extensions, again the legacy way is to use hot-desking, if supported, and present different outbound caller-id per extension,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

When feature is going to be available ,,,, OK
    For the meantime, either create several trunks, if provider allows, or use several extensions with different caller-IDs. You can use a loop-trunk to trick presentation as different extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.