Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Change Ringtones?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TSlocum, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

We've got Cisco SPA514g phones, and I've been tasked with changing the ringtones for external calls. The problem is, I can't figure it out, and I'm at my wit's end.

I've asked here before, and what I found out is you can set it so the user chooses the ringtone by changing the Distinctive Ringing section in the provisioning template to this (set them all to "n="):

Code:
    	<Ring1 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-1;w=3;c=1</Ring1> 
    	<Ring2 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=external;w=3;c=2</Ring2>
    	<Ring3 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=international;w=3;c=3</Ring3> 
    	<Ring4 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=national;w=3;c=4</Ring4> 
    	<Ring5 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=local;w=2;c=1</Ring5> 
    	<Ring6 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=queue;w=2;c=2</Ring6> 
    	<Ring7 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=ivr;w=2;c=3</Ring7> 
    	<Ring8 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-4;w=2;c=4</Ring8> 
    	<Ring9 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-5;w=2;c=5</Ring9>
    	<Ring10 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Office;w=4;c=1</Ring10>
    The problem with that is mine is already set like that and it didn't make a difference.

How can I do this? If I bought a support contract with 3CX, would they be able to help me figure it out? Or would I need to get support from Cisco?

Or is it even possible?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is the only thing that I recall seeing on the subject, other than people questioning the feature.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/caller-id-processing-distinctive-ringing-alert-info/

Since it hasn't been updated since it was written a few years ago, i have to assume that it is still valid.
    that said...my understanding s that distinctive ringing requires that the set will support this in the way that 3CX has implemented it. I believe some accomplish this better than others. It is unfortunate that the option is solely based on caller ID. In addition to that option I would have liked to see it simplified in such a way that you could cause all calls, received over a particular trunk group, to deliver distinctive ring.

3. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

I've seen that article and couldn't really make sense of it. All I gather from it is that it uses a slightly different tone for international calls, which doesn't help me in the slightest.

So basically, there's nothing I can do.

If I get a support contract with 3CX, would they be able to help me any further? Or is this more of Cisco issue? Or is it even possible at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.