Change The Timeout For Web Meetings?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Levi Koenig, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Levi Koenig

We have a few remote offices with an interview room in them.The idea is to create an account for each interview room and then use the personal web URL for our staff to click on to automatically connect to that interview room via 3CX video meeting. For this to work as seamlessly as I want it to we are just going to leave a live meeting on in each interview room with the camera on...so our head office users can drop in with just a click.

In my tests tho I notice that there is some sort of timeout on the remote offices. 3CX stops the meeting in the remote room with the message "Stopped mcu service". That requires us to remotely log into the computer and start the meeting again.

Is there any parameter or setting I can change that would prevent the "mcu service" from stopping and allow the remote computers to stay logged in?

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hey,

There's a 20 hour meeting limit on all WebMeeting. This is not configurable.
    The "Stopped mcu service" notification is basically saying that the server or mcu/sfu you're connected to has stopped. This is likely due to us updating our servers every now and then.

We tend to put up a banner notification inside your meeting saying that: "This node will go down for maintenance, please log back in to connect to the next available node". It's likely that during this time, no one's really there to see this notification and to log you back in.

In any case, just so that you're aware, in the next release of WebMeeting we plan to add a few meeting re connection features. If for example the meeting server you're on goes offline, you'll be transferred seamlessly to the next available one without having being logged out of the meeting as well as another feature that will simply reconnect you to the meeting if there's something wrong with your connection.

In regards to the 20 hour meeting limit, we'll see. Maybe at some point this limit will increase or will be configurable from inside the meeting. This was put in place as many users tend to connect to a meeting from the office, leave it connected for the entire weekend, come back on Monday to find it was connected all weekend. I read that this is also a HIPAA, GDPR rule/guideline.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jed, NickD_3CX and Levi Koenig like this.
  3. Levi Koenig

Thanks for the explanation :)

I can see the reasoning behind that. We are probably an edge use case here. It was super nice however to just click 1 button (I used the personal web URL for the meeting room) and be instantly connected to a remote office meeting room. It beats logging in to the computer remotely and starting or connecting to a meeting. The people we connect with in these meetings are not usually tech-competent or it would be improper for us to ask them to handle connection. Would love to see some sort of feature in the future for remote meeting rooms like this...but again realize this may not be the intended use.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. Appreciate it!

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Creative new uses of WebMeeting are always welcome and i'm always up for making room to accommodate them. If you could explain in more detail in what way you're trying to use WebMeeting, i'd be happy to see if we could accommodate it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Levi Koenig likes this.
  5. Levi Koenig

For sure!

We have remote offices with no-one in them (besides a receptionist) that people come to for remote interviews, or team members pop by for meetings.

Instead of asking interviewees/employees to figure out how to connect to a meeting we remotely log into the computer to create a meeting or accept a meeting invite (we currently use Zoom for meetings). This gets annoying to manage after a while as we have to manage the remote access accounts and it can be a little hectic for our staff to login remotely to set things up.

I got really excited about the 3CX meetings because I seen that when you create a new extension/user it also creates a personal meeting URL for them. So I created an account/extension for each of our remote meeting rooms and logged into each of those accounts from the remote computers (the computers are kept on and do not sleep). I then created a list of the links for each of the remote meeting accounts I setup (the personal URL) and shared it with our team. Now whenever they get a notification that someone has entered our remote meeting rooms (through our security cameras) all they have to do is click on the appropriate link and BAM they were instantly there. It was glorious!...until I learned that there was a timeout lol.

If the timeout is mandatory some sort of auto-answer/auto-connect option for these remote accounts would be awesome. That would prevent us from having to login remotely to accept the meeting.

Thanks for your time!

craigreilly likes this.
  6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If i'm not misreading this, this feature already kind of exists. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't what you're describing what's shown in the screenshot below?

this.png

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

except the timeout is not controllable.

Levi Koenig likes this.
  8. Levi Koenig

I believe this would still require some sort of input from the remote offices. -At least thats what I concluded when I was playing with those features.

The goal is for someone from our central office to be able to connect to a remote office automatically without any input needed from the remote user (in this case we would have to explain to the remote user to go to the chat and click on the link). We were able to accomplish this by just leaving the video meeting open in the remote office...but our hopes and dreams were crushed when we realized that there was an automatic timeout on the meeting ;).

Now we are back to connecting to the remote computer via a screen-share program before the meeting and accepting the video meeting so that it is all ready to go for the remote user and they don't have to click or accept anything.

Thanks for the response. Please correct me if I am wrong!

9. Juan Marriott

Guys, We started to use zoom before 3CX. So I am trying to replace it but, zoom is too good...!!!
    So, I am looking for something like you guys are talking about here. The implementation of the conference room!
    Can we ask for some auto answer feature for web meetings in the webclient??

10. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This option will become available in the next release of WebMeeting.
    It will be configurable from inside the meeting.

11. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Don't forget WebMeeting comes free with the 3CX PBX and it's a completely free service to use.