Change User Extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by PD-SII, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PD-SII

I am evaluating 3CX right now and I have what I hope is an easy question/questions.

1. Is it possible to change a users extension? (Extensions > choose your user > EDIT > Extension field is greyed out)
    - I wish to change the extension from 1050 to 1040 without deleting and re-adding the user
    - Sometimes we will have users move to another branch office, obtain a new DID, extension needs to match last 4 digits of new DID. I don't need anything else to change .. just the DID and extension
    - I must be missing/overlooking something very simple .. just need a little guidance on how this is done in 3CX

2. During setup it asks for you to setup a user where all inbound calls should be directed. Is it possible to change the extension of this user .. or delete this user? If I attempt to delete the user, I am presented with the warning message: "Operator extension 1000 cannot be deleted. Please choose another operator extension and try again." Maybe I need to select another user as the Operator before this one can be modified/deleted?

I'm seeing what is involved to fix the many mistakes I will likely make in the near future .. thanks everyone

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Import existing extension?

I doubt that it is possible:
    If a row is configured to an extension that already exists in 3CX Phone System, the whole row will be skipped.
    that should be possible from PBX settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PD-SII

Thanks for the reply .. not trying to import .. just wanting to know how you would simply change an existing users extension via the Web UI. I would think that this would be possible as long as you were logged in as an admin. This one has me a bit baffled... Not sure why it is greyed out and I can't seem to find any documentation that talks about changing it. Surely people change their extensions .. I honestly thought I was missing something simple

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi there,

I am afraid that changing a users extension the way you want it done is not possible.
    You can change the users information from inside the extension but not the extension number.

About changing operator extension, that is possible through settings >> PBX Settings >> Operation Extension.

5. PD-SII

Thank you for the reply .. is there a document that explains a different method for accomplishing the extension change without losing (or having to re-create) all user information?

Saving VM greetings, call forward time rules/settings, etc.. maybe a user migration method or tool? Majority of this looks possible by exporting the information to a csv .. changing the extension number .. and then re-importing thus creating a new user. However, it looks like you would first have to delete the DID from the old user extension (if choosing to keep it), download the users VM greetings, screenshot any custom forwarding/greeting settings and then re-create all that on the new extension .. cumbersome for such a simple change .. but do-able.

If this topic has been discussed in the past, please link me to the post .. I wasn't able to locate the discussion with the searches I made

6. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PD-SII

You got me there .. ha I'll admit that I didn't think to search the feature requests forum to perform a simple extension change. Until now I thought changing someones extension was a standard ability on all voip platforms .. learn something new everyday .. I did upvote the request though .. thanks for the link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.