Changing outbound caller ID when calling through voicemail?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Lee Moreau, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Moreau

Is it possible to change this? Can't seem to figure it out. I love how you can call into your voicemail account and when enabled dial an outbound call from it similar to DISA on Asterisk. The only thing is the outbound call display doesn't seem to work. I would assume it should show the outbound call display for the extension I'm calling but it doesn't. What it does is show the account number for my voip account. So for example I have:

Voip service account number : 12345
    Extension : 4945
    Outbound call display for extension 4945 : 416-123-1234

However if I call from my cell phone 416-999-1234 and access voicemail box 4945 and dial an outbound call, to the person I call it shows my call display as just "12345" which is my Voip account number.

Is there a way to change that? Each of my users have their own DID so it should show their outbound DID when calling this way..

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Re: Changing outbound caller ID when calling through voicema

Just a guess, but how does the system know which caller id should display? You are in a common extension (99,999,etc) making this outbound call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lee Moreau

Well because I'm calling in and accessing voicemail box 4945 I'd assume that when I say to dial an outbound call it would make it so that 4945 extension was making the call no?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I seem to recall this coming up before and I'm trying to remember what the final outcome was. In theory, when calling into your voicemail and then back out again, the extension who's voicemail you are using, should be the one utilized when placing a call. If you dial a local extension, rather than an outside call, what number shows up? It should be that extensions, correct?
    I assume that you have the VM set-up to require PIN code access.

5. craigreilly

Leejor, that is a good point. I guess on systems that allow you to "rewrite" caller ID for outbound calls, that is what you would want to see.
    (We are in a dark world here and our trunk/circuit via the Patton can not change the outbound caller id. it is set in stone by MaBell)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Obviously any change of outbound caller Id , requires the use of a VoIP provider that permits such actions.

7. Lee Moreau

I haven't tested calling Internal extensions but I'll try. My voip provider passes caller ID so it's whatever I send to it. I just don't get why it is showing my main account number for the outbound caller ID. Where would I set the "global" outbound caller ID for the trunk?

8. craigreilly

Drill down under the voup providers on the left hand side - then near the bottom.

VOIP Providers, Select Provider, then Outbound Parameters tab has other options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.