• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Changing Public IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZANONI Jean-Claude

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have installed last week a 3CX on Linux, my customer don't have public IP static at this time.
Today the IP change by a static new one. i have change it in 'Settings' > 'NETWORK'
but my fqdn xxx.3cx.fr doeasn't not work.
May i have another change to do ?

First thing to be aware of is that if you are using a 3CX Supported FQDN (which by your 3cx.fr you are) then your FQDN, Licence and Public IP are now bound together:
https://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-management-allocation/

If you have selected a Static IP on install and the IP has changed then there is a way around this without backup and re-install:

* In order to get you public ip to change in 3CX's dns servers you need to navigate to Settings > network and switch to use 'Dynamic Public IP (IP changes)' Then restart services using the services.mmc.

* Then wait 20 minutes and go back and switch back to ' Static Public IP (IP Address does not change)' and again restart services.

It will take up to an hour to change on their systems DNS and then up to 6 or more hours to propagate around the internet.

Reactions: ZANONI Jean-Claude
Ok Thank You

First thing to be aware of is that if you are using a 3CX Supported FQDN (which by your 3cx.fr you are) then your FQDN, Licence and Public IP are now bound together:
https://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-management-allocation/

If you have selected a Static IP on install and the IP has changed then there is a way around this without backup and re-install:

* In order to get you public ip to change in 3CX's dns servers you need to navigate to Settings > network and switch to use 'Dynamic Public IP (IP changes)' Then restart services using the services.mmc.

* Then wait 20 minutes and go back and switch back to ' Static Public IP (IP Address does not change)' and again restart services.

It will take up to an hour to change on their systems DNS and then up to 6 or more hours to propagate around the internet.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, I found myself unable to log into my PBX's control panel. All I got was "server error." I tried to restart my VPS on Google Cloud and my instance came back up with a different IP that was dynamic. I changed it to static. Things did not improve, so I went to the customer portal and released the IP address and the FQDN as they were both incorrect. I found no way to get a new FQDN or set a new IP address. I thought that if I just took the new IP address and made a DNS entry from my registrar, added a new host that it might fix my issue. Now as many of you reading this might have guessed this did not solve the problem because the license key does not have my new IP address or FQDN.

Since this is a free trial, I don't think I can rightfully ask 3CX for technical support. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do at this point?
-Rob

I changed it to static

Can you explain what you mean by this, on the Google platform or 3CX ?

This is the only downside to having your PBX on a hosted site - you are limited as far as network control is concerned.

If your 3CX System was originally set as Dynamic IP assignment then this should not be an issue. If not see my points above in my last post about re-assignment.

If you currently do an nslookup to your 3CX FQDN does it resolve correctly ?

If you released the licence from the FQDN then you need to re-install the system as the key is bound to an FQDN only during the installation process. You can perform a backup without licence and FQDN and restore it when you re-install the system so you don't loose your configuration. How FQDN and IP changes work is mentioned in this post.

Reactions: Rob Lifton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyass.b
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.