Changing SBC's

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by viraltechnology, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viraltechnology

Currently we have a Windows SBC its running on a server that is also the file share / domain controller / print server.

We decided to get a raspberry pi 3 Model B running raspian Jessie. just so we can put the sbc on its own computer.

The question is what is the proper migration Method? do we need to wipe the phones and reprovision everything? Can we just change the ip address for the SBC and reboot the phones and let them reporvision? Any tests that we can run on the new sbc to make sure it is in fact making the tunell connection back to the Hosted 3cx server?

2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi viraltechnology,

Be aware of a few things.

* Raspberry Pi supports 20 extensions where the Windows supports 50, make sure that you are not migrating only to find that you don't have enough capacity for all your extensions.

* If you are installing on Jessie this should be fine, I personally have been installing Stretch and making the changes to the .sources.list: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cx-sbc-on-raspberry-pi-does-not-install.50491/

I am not aware of anyone who has migrated in this way. That being said I can't see any reasons why a replacement SBC with identical credentials as the original should require the phones to be re-provisioned - hopefully someone with some experience can confirm the situation.

#2 eddv123, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    viraltechnology likes this.
  3. viraltechnology

yes, They have 6 Phones and about 60 BLFs. we are migrating off the windows sbc to avoid any port conflicts since the server is handling a lot of different roles already. Also yes we did go with Jesse, for simplicity.

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You may consider also using VPN for remote locations, without SBCs, if you have control over routers / they support VPN connections.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viraltechnology likes this.
  5. viraltechnology

The current set up does not. that is why we are looking at the sbc. but we will keep that in mind for the next deployment. may simplfy some aspects.

I am pretty sure you told me about a firewall wall checker application. do you know if I put the sbc in the proxy field. will that test sbc functionality?

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I haven't tested with SBC, if nothing written in the post about client checker, you may try testing it with SBC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 sip.bg, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  7. ppigmans

on the IP phones you put in the SBC's ip as outbound Proxy, on the raspberry pi/Debian machine, to check if the SBC is running type: service 3cxsbc status

8. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

It's pretty straight forward. Once you have the Pi configured you can reprovision one phone, changing the SBC IP address before reprovisioning. The phone should reboot and come up under the new SBC. If it is a phone that is capable of PnP then you can also factory default the phone and then adopt it via the new SBC. Once you are happy with the testing you can repeat for the rest of the phones.

accentlogic likes this.
  9. viraltechnology

and make sure you turn off bluetooth and wifi that comes with the new PI 3 model B!!! we fought that for a while.!!!

NickD_3CX and accentlogic like this.
  10. eddv123

Just an update for this thread as I have just tested this and can confirm what needs to be done when migrating from Windows SBC to Raspberry Pi.

I had hoped that the original phones (with original configuration already on) would simply register across the new tunnel (since the Pi's local details are not relevant) Unfortunately this is not the case.

The phones will re-appear in the "phones" list in 3CX in bold text, all that is required then is to re-assign them to their original extensions, the phones will then re-provision and connect as normal.

11. viraltechnology

We found that if you go into extensions > provisioning and change the sbc IP address then reboot the phones that is all we needed to do. Our phones are set up to reprovisioned at boot. When we first tested it didn't work as planned. We had all sorts of weird things happening. Like the.phone would show up in the 3cx console except.it would say via sbc 169.0.0.0. almost like.it never received a a DHCP address even though our sbc was hardcoded. The issue turned out to be Bluetooth and wireless turned on the raspberry pi. We disabled those and everything worked beautifully.

12. eddv123

Good to hear its sorted, just to confirm my setup was 2 SBC's same LAN/subnet moving from IP ending .25 to .28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.