Changing Server IP Address Causes Problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dekatech, Feb 20, 2007.

1. dekatech

Hello,

After successfully configuring and operating the 3cx VoIP Server, I have began testing "what id scenarios" and found an issue I can not explain.

Changing the server IP address from "Receiving from DHCP" to static internal ip: Able to make outbound calls except to those phone systems with an Automated attendant. The phone makes a connection but can not hear the voice prompts on the other end. Nothing else was changed in the sip.cfg file except for the server info.

Steps:
    Changed to static ip
    Modified the sip.cfg file
    Made FTP server change on phone to reflect new IP (same as 3CX system)
    Rebooted 3CX server
    Rebooted phone

Changing back to the orginal IP address, I was able to make all outbound calls and hear the Remote attendants and interact with them.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the change to the servers IP address causes the phone to not interact with remote automated attendants?

Travis

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Could it be something simple like:

- Gateway
    - DNS
    - Subnet Mask.

Once you change from DHCP to static I believe you have to put these in manually. This applies to the phone and to the pbx.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi Travis,

Thanks for information.

Try to do following steps
    1. run regedit
    2. delete values "msExternalInterface" and "msLocalInterface" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\3CX\PhoneSysytem" registry key

Autoattendant must start to work immediately without restarting and will not depend on IP settings anymore.

If it will not help, please send me a 3CXMediaServer.trace.log. Hopefully it will be not necessary :)

Stepan

4. dekatech

Solution! Thanks Stepan

Thank you itfarmer and Stepan for the reply's

Stepan your solution did the trick. I noticed the values "msExternalInterface" and "msLocalInterface" deleted from the registry did not reproduce themselves is the normal?

In future releases will these values be necessary on install?

Just curious!

Thanks again!!!!
    Travis

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Travis,

It is not a trick. It is workaround for your situation in current release.
    Those values are not automatically restored by phone system and only installation procedure sets them. (probably it must not do it :) )

We will decide how to avoid such situation in future releases.

Thank you very much for information. :)

Stepan

6. secnet

Hi Stepan,
    I realise, this post is quite old, but: Can you confirm the 'bug' still exists?
    I've changed server's IP address from [DHCP private] to [DHCP public], and custom parameters: MSEXTERNALADDRESS, MSEXTERNALINTERFACE, CMEXTERNALINTERFACE are wrong (old)... :|
    I'm using v10 SP5 verion.
    Should I change it manually in management console?
    Artur

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi Arthur,

Yes this information is obsolete and was provided in context of first release of 3CXPhoneSystem (2.0!)
    In case if you change network configuration or move PBX to other host you need to re-adjust "STUNless" settings.

8. secnet

Hi,
    Yeah, I see the first post in thread is 5 years old ;-)
    But: if you ask google about name of one of these parameters you'll get only 3 (!) answers ;) two of them are in russian, and one is this forum :)

Anyway: do you plan to change it in v11 for example? :) and where's documentation of this? ;)
    Regards,
    Artur

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

PBX is not something what is moved continuously. It is not a "mobile device", it is the anchor of your communications.
    So, if you are moving it then you need to re-adjust "STUNless" settings.