Changing the asterisk (*) key in extension voicemail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by John Giordano, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Giordano

When a caller dials an extension and it goes to the users voicemail, there is the option of pressing the asterisk (*) to get to the operator. Two questions, (1), is there anyway to disable this, and (2), how can I change who the operator is in version 15?

Thanks.

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

It gets worse, pressing ANY key during the voicemail greeting will transfer to the operator extension. It's a huge nuisance in places with separate departments or business entities, or call centers with several different queues / projects that shouldn't mix together.

As far as I know, it can't be disabled.

Once a user records their greeting that prompt won't play, so that's good. However lots of people dial 0 and expect to be transferred back somewhere even without giving them the option. Would be nice to chose where that goes for each extension or extension group.

You can change the operator extension in settings / PBX settings - first option. You can send it back to your main digital receptionist, a special ring group, whatever works for your situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Giordano

Thank you Jason,
    I have a request from a customer to at least have it do nothing. What would you propose? They fit into the multiple business entities under one 3CX umbrella scenario. Would creating a extension that doesn't have a phone registered to it work?

4. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

The thing is it has to go somewhere. You can make the call disconnect, you can send it to someones mailbox, you can send it back to your companies digital receptionist. Sending it to an unregistered extension would either send the call to that extensions mailbox or would disconnect the call if you remove the mailbox from that extension.
    I'd offer to send the call directly to the receptionists mailbox or the company IVR, that does the trick for most installs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

oops sorry missed the "multiple business entities" part. I'd make a general mailbox that doesn't mention a company name (they were already greated by the digital receptionist) and have someone in charge of forwarding the email message (with voicemail) to the appropriate company. Also make sure everyone records a greeting so that the "press * to get to the operator" prompt doesn't play.

John Giordano likes this.
  6. John Giordano

Thanks Jason. That sounds like the proper way to go. Much appreciated.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Been mentioned before in the forums and perhaps requested, so be able to set an Operator per Extension or Operator per Group...
    Would be nice to see something like that as we too have different divisions.

Bronston Hansen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.