Changing the Static IP Address

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nickjhunt, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickjhunt

We are looking at disaster recovery scenarios and using a failover line for voip in the event of a Broadband failure.
    I know in the past i have had issues with incoming calls dropping after 32 seconds, after the external iP address of 3CX changes.
    We survive by our phones and the business would not cope with an outage caused by having to rebuild 3CX just to reset the external IP address.
    I know this has been mentioned before but I am not sure if has been addressed yet in one of the updates.
    We are using the Latest V14Sp3

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There have been a number of posts on the subject of version 14 and dynamic IP's.
    This being but one...

topic43393-s15.html

While there seem to be way to make it work, along with using a DDNS service, as many of us have used successfully with past versions, in the past, there still seems to be some questions about the "warnings" from 3CX not to.

There have also been posts regarding changing your static IP as needed. There was one post, a while back, that actaully listed all of the places it could be changed manually in 3CX (although I can't for the life of me, find it), but the normal advice is to back-up, re-install with the new static IP and restore. I suppose the idea is that if you are really paying for a static IP, it won't change.

3. nickjhunt

My issue is not with the availability of my Static IP address but with the reliability of the all of the different providers involved with getting the IP to us. i.e router reliability, BT for the dsl line, another ISP for the provision. We have had instances where we lose one of our DSL's and it can take a few days to get the issue resolved.
    If I am out of the office, all of our other services with continue to function as we have failover configured on our routers. When we try this with 3cx however we have issues and I have to re-install. I cannot expect a standard user to be able to provide this function.

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Since V14 SP3, the Public IP Address set in the Management Console -> Settings -> Network -> "Public IP" tab, can be changed without re-installing, all you need to do is change it there, then restart the services.
    This does not Apply for the LAN IP of the 3CX Server and does not apply for Virtual PBX (multi-instance) installations.

Also, as leejor pointed out, there is also the STUN option that I made a comment about in the link leejor provided. I have quoted it below:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.