Chat and 3rd party apps *Feat Req

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Toma, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toma

Hi,

We have been looking for a Mac alternative for the 3CX Assistant for a while. Clients like X-Lite and Blink http://icanblink.com/ are very good, but the Chat feature does not work in any of them.

In Blink the error is Chat Session failed: Not Acceptable Here.

Is there a way to enable 3rd party apps like Blink to work with 3cx chat feature? Alternatively are there plans to create a OSX version of 3cx assistant?

Thanks

Tamas

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Re: Chat and 3rd party apps

There's no way any other application's chat can be compatible with the 3CX Chat.

There are currently no plans to enable 3rd party apps to work with the 3CX Chat. And there are no pans to create a Mac Version of the Assistant either.

You can suggest those ideas here though:
    http://3cx.ideascale.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. carolinainnovative

Leonidas,

This actually surprises me greatly. You guys love to tout the fact that 3cx is hardware and vendor agnostic, but then you lock a feature to your own software?

I'm also surprised that you guys rolled your own chat and didn't use something like XMPP - that would have greatly simply the ability to open it up...

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Salter,

The idea of using a protocol such as XMPP for IM is not a bad idea at all, but our initial plans for the Assistant were to provide a simple Intra-Company way to chat which works, and it does work... :roll:

It is possible that in the future we might develop plans to extend the assistant chat, but for now we don't have such plans, we are focusing more on fixing bugs / adding some Major / Vital features that users are requesting.
    Adding the functionality you are asking is no simple task from both Development and Testing perspectives, so i wouldn't expect it in V9.
    But if you make the request in the new "Idea" website, there's a good chance it may be considered for V10.

I've also heard some "rumors" regarding SIP Messaging / SMS being added at a point, but it's nothing i can talk with certainty for now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Toma

Thank you for the reply. The current 3cx assistant works well as a simple chat app, but as soon as you have a mixed environment with PCs and MACs, dare I say Linux then it cannot be used to its full potential as everyone needs to have access to the application.

I'll make the request in the idea site and fingers crossed for V10

Thanks

Tamas

6. activeserve

If 3CX wants to be competitive with other VOIP PBX's such as Trixbox (which offers the HUD for both PC and MAC), you will definitely need to think about creating a Call Assistant for the Apple platform.

Apple is being used more and more in a business environment, so it's very important to extend 3CX's functionality to all of its users. This limitation has actually been a deciding factor for some of our clients who have a mixed-platform environment.

7. activeserve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.