Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cheap international calls through 3CX from cell phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by altitude, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altitude

I make many international calls outside of the office and one of my favourite all time iPhone apps is Localphone and Rebtel. These apps enable you to make cheap international calls by calling a local phone number which reroutes to the international number you wish to call. This is saves heaps on calls and you don’t have to worry about the data speeds while say driving (data can drop where as a phone call can hold and has more extensive coverage).

I would like to achieve the same by using my 3CX system and the cheap rates.

I know there is an old thread but I'm seeking the same solution - http://www.3cx.com/forums/topic4083.html

I have successfully tried two ways of achieving this.

Option 1

By using Outgoing calls within Voicemail. I tested a string that works fine from a single dial.

Office Number,9999,,,My Ext Number,,VM Pin#,9,3,International Number
    For example 212123456,9999,,,1031,,1234#,9,3,6512345678

The issue with this is that it takes about 50 seconds to dial and connect.

Option 2

By using Exceptions within Call Forwarding and setting my mobile as the exception number (this makes it secure) and when I dial my own extension it diverts me to the international number that I set to call.

For this option to work properly one would need to API into the system and set the divert number each time before a call.

Any thoughts? Any better ways to achieve this?

I’m thinking of having a small iPhone app written that would access my address book and simplify the process.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Localphone = 3cx Phone for iOS/Android/Windows.
    Install 3cx moble app. Voila. Cheap international rates on your mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. altitude

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply. I have the 3CX iOS app and from using it so far I only seem to be able to make calls using data (3G/4G), how do I make calls using the cellular network like stated in my original post? Is there a setting?

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

ah - missed that small piece of info.

This Voicemail access mode is the only way I know of right now. I like the idea of an App - or 3cx Softphone option to use Data or Cell to place a call somehow.

See here: http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-softphone-o-allow-callback-o-mobile-number-43340.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. altitude

Thanks Craig.

I since found a calling card app (CallCardPal) to auto dial the full sequence via the Voicemail method and its working great, just takes 50 seconds to dial.

I like your idea of having an option within your 3CX app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.