• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Choppy audio with v14 client on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.moses

Forum User
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hello board, we have a working 3CX test system in place that we're evaluating for my company. Yesterday I upgraded us from v12.5 to the v14 release. Generally it went very smoothly, but I'm finding that while my Android clients configured quickly, connect quickly, receive push notifications, and connect correctly through the 3CXTunnel, call quality is borderline unusable.

I have version 14.0.34 of the Android client installed on a OnePlus One running Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android version 5.1.1). I've tested from several networks and both produce the same choppy audio, it doesn't sound like latency, it's like the audio just cuts in and out but is otherwise high quality. This happens to both sent and received audio. One network that I connected from was a Comcast business cable internet that tests at 80 MB, the other is my home WiFi network that is a 45 MB Centurylink fiber/dsl setup. On my home network, I have a Yealink T48 configured as a remote access phone (using STUN) and audio is clear and experiences NO clicks or breaks in the audio stream. While we didn't use the v12 version for long, I did not notice this issue as much as I do with v14. This audio problem exists even with internal calls (calling my own voicemail for example) but seems to get worse if I dial off-net.

Anyone else experiencing this or any ideas what I can try to resolve this? I will be testing iOS clients next week to see if they experience the same issues.

Have you tried running version 14 on another device? I'm thinking that it is either a conflict/issue with another application, ruining on the set, or something to do with the Android version you are running, given that it is a modified version. Is it only the Oneplus one having the issue, you aren't really clear on that.

You could try stopping all other apps that are running , in particular those that are associated with networking.

Have you tried calls using something other than the built-in mic/earpiece, i.e. ...Bluetooth.

Have you tried using the same LAN as the server, or only remote?

I have tried v14 on one other device (1st gen Moto X) and the audio seemed better. It was running the OEM Android 5.1 release. I also tried it from a Nexus 10 running 5.1.1 and the same audio issues existed. My company does not run any WiFi on our corporate network so I don't have the ability to test a direct connection. I have tried using a bluetooth device and the experience was the same, choppy audio (sounds very similar to a high latency connection). I have tried stopping as many ancillary apps as possible, but this did not seem to affect the call issues. Also tried swapping around which was the preferred codec, but this didn't seem to matter either.

Have you tried the phones over 3/4G, or just Wifi? You could bring an old router to work and connect as an access point (plug network into LAN socket and disable DHCP) just for local LAN testing.

It will probably just be a process of elimination. Finding the right combination where it works.

Is it ...the phone, the particular operating system, another App (conflict), the network, a setting (phone/App)?

And as another followup, using a standard SIP dialer like CSIPSimple works as expected with nearly perfect audio on the same OnePlus device on the same network. Really think there's something up with the v14 app.

Tried calling over LTE and the issue was exactly the same as on the WiFi networks that I've used.

It may very well be an issue with 14 on that particular hardware with that OS version. Perhaps it was not tested on those phones by the development team.

Just to test, I actually flashed my phone to the OEM CyanogenOS 12.1 (instead of CyanogenMod 12.1) and have the same issue. Just FYI in case anyone is tracking this.

Same experince here.
Samsung S2 with Android version 4.4.4 @ SLIM ROM 4.4.4 Build 9.0 official-8301
Also on one of my co-workers devices with android 5.1 on it.

Same here too...
NEXUS 5 (Android 5.5.1 (LMY48M))
Either on Wi-Fi (same LAN) of LTE

Tried it with an iPhone 5S and the Audio is "Perfect"

Gotta be an Android issue...

Tested on my daughter's Moto G (Android 4.4.2) and it is MUCH better. Totally acceptable audio quality on the same networks with a much slower phone. Definitely a bug somewhere in the Android app.

Just more data points in the hope that someone is working on this...

Downloaded the sp1 update for v14 (14.0.47) and the audio problem is exactly the same. Using CSipSimple connected to 3CX from the same android phone on the exact same network results in clear high quality audio. Tried 3CX client with or without the tunnel and it doesn't seem to matter. I wonder if when they went to a unified base code (windows/mac/android/iOS) they introduced something that doesn't work with android 5.1+.

Where did you get that SP1 for V14??? It is not listed in the updates...
Thank you

Should have been clearer, the SP1 I was talking about earlier was for the android client not 3CX itself. Although that showed up this morning and we just applied it. Going to test calling shortly to see if there's a change/improvement.

Update: tested with SP1 on the server and with latest Android client and the choppy audio is still there. Both ways.

Have installed both the Android update and the SP1 for V14, but still really bad audio!!!
Anyone has better results?

Hi, Could you please do the following,
Go to Settings > Audio Options > Microphone Source and change from Default "Advanced Mode" to "Basic Mode".
Tell me how this will go and restart your phone.

Either "Advanced" or "Basic" gives the same results...

Look do the following, call a local extension and press Recording button, see if this helps? or if you have access to Web Management bind the extension to media server.

Let me know.

Also could you please turn off echo cancellation please?

Tried the record button while on a call to a local ext, but no luck there.
Tried with the echo cancellation "OFF" and this did not help either...
I tried all combination of "Audio Options" but it is still Crappy Audio...
On an iPhone, Audio is perfect. (before you ask I tried 3 different Android device with the same issues...)

Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.