• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Choppy calls on new 3CX install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Moreau

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just set up a new VPS located in Toronto like myself, Windows Server 2008 with 2GB ram and 1 core. Running on 100mbps fibre. Installed 3CX on it but having issues with call quality internally and externally. It keeps cutting off the odd part of words, like "Hi there h-w are you doi-g toda?"

I tried from IP phones and the 3CX soft phone. They are all remote extensions, register no problem and make calls no problem. I've read lots of threads on here with similar issues but everyone keeps talking about try a different network card, or bios settings etc but this is a VPS I can't just change those things.

Like I call 999 to access voicemail and it's like "P-p-lease enter ersonal identification umber and then ress pound".

If I'm using a VPS I don't have access to the router etc so is it necessary to prioritize voip and so on? When I use asterisk I don't have to do that I just install it and use it. Was just about to uninstall but thought I'd try one last time here. Thanks.

Well, there are some requirements that 3CX publishes that you need to ensure you meet. What you are describing is either jitter or dropped packets. Jitter is where the data packets are not arriving at the same time as when sent. All the speach arrives, but because it is arriving at varying times, the speach sounds disjointed. Dropped packets are when some of the data packers never make it and spoken sentences may have words missing or unitelligible words. Many phones have jitter buffers that try to overcome the effects of packet letency, but they usually have a range in which they are capable of handling and you might be exceeding that.

You need to first ensure that the server provider is accomodating the firewall requirements on a consistent basis. While the OS you have is fine, we really do not have an appreciation of the version of 3CX, its scale relative to phones and the system's ability to handle not only 3CX, but the other applications that may be in-play. Of particular interest will be the Windows firewall and any antivirus or end-point protection packages you have. You might try and disable all of these to see if any change. 2GB and running 1 core, seems rather light to me for a VPS, but that's just me and I am assuming that there are plenty of other apps running given the apparent need for a 100MB fiber channel. You could also set PBX delivers audio for the extension and see if any change.

Ii am assuming that the fiber channel is a VPN back to the VPS and when you indicate remote phone, you really mean back at the office where the VPN terminates and not outside the office LAN. If you truly mean that the phones are installed in the public domain, then there are other things to consider.

You might also try and run http://www.pingtest.net as this may give you an indication of the issues. Run it from the same place as where a phone would be (is) installed. You will need to have Java installed on the machine running the test as it will measure jitter, dropped packets and latency. I would also run from the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.