Choppy Sound on Downlink

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RobLloyd, Oct 26, 2007.

1. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Do you have choppy sound internally? If you do then there is something wrong with your network - not enough bandwidth, cheap switches, etc. If your equipment will do it, turn on QOS (Quality of Service). That should help internally.

If it's from the 3102, then it's the 3102 giving problems. I have not used that one myself but others have gotten it to work with little to no issues.
    AudioCodes and Patton gateways are getting much better reviews for sound quality and reliability.

If you're getting choppy sound from a VoIP providor give them a call. Mine has helped quite a bit to resolve issues or at least traced them down to uncontrollable outside sources.

2. GrahamNR17

Had this on my line from a VoIP provider. Cured when I unbound the line from the media server.

3. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

I'm really sorry, but we can not figure out the reason without any logs, captures, etc. Just verbal explanation is not enough for us, sorry.

4. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Its ok archie, we forgive you :p hehe

cheers(lol)

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Bruce,

Could you please help me to answer your question?

Please make a capture of network traffic using WireShark (on PBX host).
    Just for one call with "choppy" audio. Send it to me. Make a call for at least 10-15 seconds(it is better is duration will be longer, ~30 sec). I need to analyze RTP traffic to answer your question.

It is really important to find real reason of such issue, and you have a good environment to catch it.

Thanks

6. darryla

I found that by increasing the thread priority to all of the 3CX services the quality of my calls, my on hold music and my call attendant improved. I set mine to "High".

I used Process Explorer from Sys Internals (Now owned by Microsoft) to change the priority.

The bad part is that after a reboot the services will get set back to Normal.

There are supposedly tools around that will keep them set right. I'd love to have a batch file run on a Scheduled Task to do it for me, but I haven't found a command yet.

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

It doesn't matter free version or not. Could you please just collect information? Pleeeease :)

Thanks

8. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Re: QOS issues from ISP

Bruce,
    3CX PBX doesn't work on hops.
    Just capture the traffic on PBX host. Pleeeeeease :)
    Thanks

9. fjkeith

I am experiencing similar problems with the Media Server (bad delay in my case, see forum thread

http://www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-phone-system-general-1/latency-expectations-through-3cx-server-2964/

I also just tried to change the process priority on the Media Server to "Realtime" via task manager and got denied even through I was logged in as admin.

Anyone know how to change the priority? Better yet, how to eliminate the 130 mS delay in the Media Server?

thanks!

10. darryla

To change the thread priority, you need this tool:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/processutil/processutil.htm

Then create a batch file and put these lines in it:

process -p 3CXPhoneSystem.exe high
    process -p 3CXMediaServer.exe high
    process -p 3CXIVRServer.exe high
    process -p 3CXVBMServer.exe high

Then, schedule the batch file to run every day at 9:00am or something. That should do it.