• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Choppy Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

lateralis_m

Reaction score
I am experiencing an occasional interference on my inbound and outbound calls. The phone cuts in and out for short bursts. This will happen for an entire phone call. The next phone call will be clean. Doe anyone have any suggestions or has anyone experienced this issue???

I have a Grandstream GXW410x with Cisco 7960 phone.

Please advise...

Norm

The possibilities are almost endless. You will need to do some checking yourself and post relevant info if you are seeking suggestions. For myself this issue was due to my ISP connection and internet congestion. I was able to reduce it considerably by using a QoS capable modem, my SPA3102 actually. However there can also be congestion on your LAN depending on usage and structure. Another possibility could be the PC hardware specs versus software applications running concurrently with 3CX. And of course depending on the type of extension, especially if only one, could be a device issue.

lateralis_m said:
I am experiencing an occasional interference on my inbound and outbound calls. The phone cuts in and out for short bursts. This will happen for an entire phone call. The next phone call will be clean. Doe anyone have any suggestions or has anyone experienced this issue???

I have a Grandstream GXW410x with Cisco 7960 phone.

Please advise...

Norm

As was mentioned in another post it is more than likely your gateway. We had that problem among others with that particular gateway.

Oops! :oops: Missed that. Didn't catch the Grandstream means PSTN Line.

I too had problems with very choppy sound but not with grandstream gateway, it was a SPA3102, after diging around a bit i found out that, the problem came from my router and his wonderful QoS(crap). After i turned QoS off on router Choppy sound disapeared.....

Cheers

Thank you all for your replies...

I've installed an Audio Codes MP-114 and I am still experiencing the same problems.....There is not difference in the sound quality between the Grandstream and AudioCodes installed on our system. There must be a setting somewhere that controls the delay...

Regards.

Norm

Good evening

In addition to checking your Quality of Service settings on the local network, you may want to check your jitter buffer settings on the phones themselves.

Take care,

Thanks Ralph....

I installed QoS on my server and the delay appears to have dissappeared...The crackle is still present.....In regards to the Jitter Buffers....I have a Jitter Minimum Setting, a Jitter Shrink Setting and a Jitter Maximum setting. I am able to modify these settings in 10 milliseconds chunks....Any recommendations how I should set each of these parameters?

Good afternoon

I would write down what the default settings are now.

Since you are experiencing choppy sound I would start by increasing your jitter buffer setting by 50% and see how that works.

If you experience less choppiness you know you are on the right track. As the jitter buffer increases you may experience call delay if you set it to high. If you experience call deleay decrease the jitter buffer. Eventually you will find the right setting.

Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louderapps
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.