Cisco 500 Series Provisioning and Firmware

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TerryJoyce, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryJoyce

Hey,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have set the majority of phones up to work from a central provisioning template and all the 504 and 508 phones I have are using that template. My issue is that there are some phones that refuse to be reprovisioned by the 3CX system and the same phones refuse to have there firmware updated also from the 3CX interface.

Out of 20 phones this only effect 4 but I dont want this to keep happening. If you can help then please do.

Terry

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Try initializing to factory default before configuring provisioning.
    No reason else except custom firmware used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TerryJoyce

Two of the phones that are having the issue were both reset to the factory settings. One of them was brand new out of the box. All I did was tell the phone the network tagging and also the provisioning template source and then it got the correct template and now it won't do as I want. Either of them.

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Try updating the firmware manually to latest or to one certified (http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/cisco-spa-firmware-upgrade/).
    I'm using firmware 7.4.3a and everything is working fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TerryJoyce

Thanks. I am using 4.3a already. But even the reprovision button does not work. So it is like the phones are ignoring what I am telling them to do.

My config is:

6. TerryJoyce

Also doing something like http://192.168.103.59/admin/resync?http://192.168.103.2:5000/provisioning/$MA.xml does not work either.

7. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

I don't have another idea -- try to upgrade firmware and to configure them manually without using auto-provisioning.

Regards

8. TerryJoyce

I found the issue was with something in the template that was stopping the phones from being upgraded and also stopped them from being reprovisioned. It was quite odd.

All sorted now. Thanks for all the help.

9. msauer

Hey this is our problem too. Figured it was in the template because using an unmodified one works. What is the odd thing in the template that you found to break it?
    Thanks

10. efounco

efounco New Member

In version 12+, they altered the provisioning system/template so that only "3CX approved phones" could be provisioned through the management UI. Unfortunately, they also made it so that firmware updates are downloaded and controlled exclusively from their servers (which it's technically illegal to host Cisco's firmware/software per their EULA). I'm sure they did it to simply end user support, but it complicates management from an IT standpoint. Anyways, the solution to your problem is simple. Modify your template from:

<model>Cisco SPA-501G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-502G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-504G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-508G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-509G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-512G + SPA-500DS</model>
    <model>Cisco SPA-514G + SPA-500DS</model>

to

<model ua="SPA501G">Cisco SPA-501G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model ua="SPA502G">Cisco SPA-502G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model ua="SPA504G">Cisco SPA-504G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model ua="SPA508G">Cisco SPA-508G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model ua="SPA509G">Cisco SPA-509G + SPA-500S</model>
    <model ua="SPA512G">Cisco SPA-512G + SPA-500DS</model>
    <model ua="SPA514G">Cisco SPA-514G + SPA-500DS</model>

The phones will magically appear as "Provisioned" in the Management UI. From there, you can upgrade the firmware, etc.

The ua="MODELNUMBER" is the key. 3CX uses it to identify the phone model and to know if it's "supported" or not.

As for the ability to control and/or use my own firmware files, I have to re-frame from using the 3CX system variables and hard code the .bin path into the provisioning template.

Two steps forward; one step back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.