cisco 7940

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jmorley, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorley

Hi Guys

Well I folded and am trying to figure out the 7940. I have a problem. So I have it plugged in with a power cube and it turns on fine. I got it ONCE to go through configuring the ip to the main menu and i did a re-boot and erased the config file or whatnot when you reboot. Now it won't go past configuring IP and i'm not sure how to get it to get the firmware files i have for it.

Any Help Appreciated! Ps i have it running through my computer, the Ethernet cord is wired into my laptop, is that the issue? bc idk what else it could be.

2. koke1

Jmorley,
    The 7940 needs to have the Sip firmware file specified within your SEP [macaddress].xml file. So you will need to have those files (Cisco SIP firmware files) provisioned using tftp server. I have mine in the same 3CX server. It works quite well!!.
    Koke

3. jmorley

OK question Koke, I just have a verizon router and no fancy router from cisco. Do I need a fancy router to set everything up? Also i have punpkin tftp and also solar winds, how do i set it up to send things to the phone. What is the SEP(macaddresss}.xml file? what is in it...i don't have it.

Jordan/

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

You don't need a "fancy router" but you do need a DHCP server that can push out option 66. You would need to disable the DHCP server function on your current device and use a software DHCP Server such as SolarWinds or tFTP32.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unfortunately you've touched a sensitive subject with these 7940 phones.
    I'll save my usual lecture telling you how much time you're gonna waste trying to configure that phone and i'm gonna try and help you out a bit :p

Here's where you can find all the firmware for all 79XX Cisco Series for free without needing to pay greedy cisco a cent.
    You may want to bookmark this.
    http://ftp.itl.ua/pub/cisco/ip-7900ser/

Now here's 2 seperate config files for both the Cisco 7940 and 7941, i can't guarantee they will work but it gives you a fighting chance:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/434672690/Ciscoss.rar

Good luck. :mrgreen:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jmorley

My router is the Actiontec MI424WR from verizon. How do i disable the server function on my device?

7. jmorley

Hi guys!!

I got ther 7940 to work with 3cx. Now i have a tech issue, the phone is using our home router via eithernet and a powercube, THE INTERNET wifi for my computers get cut off when the phone is in use in the router

what would cause my other computers to loose internet with this phone in use?

8. koke1

Jmorley,
    can you provide a bit more explanation to your problem? Are you connecting the PC via switch port from the 7940? or you are talking about in general that whenever you are in call on your cisco phone, the rest of the network (wired and wireless goes dead?

Koke

9. jmorley

Koke,
    sorry for the delay in replying, had to put this project on hold

to answer your question whenever i do a call on my cisco 7940 the network wired and wireless goes dead for some reason and only the phone is connected and not sure how to fix this

Jordan M.

10. jmorley

Also one other thing, I am running my cisco 7940 off my home router, through VLAN. I do NOT have a gateway or router just for the phone. Also i am using my desktop with ip address 192.168.x.x. So when i use TFTP i say TFTP from desktop 192.168.x.x. and it uses the default router ip of 192.168.1.1 and for i think another issue is that the computers getting knocked out are because they don't have an available DCHP/IP address available. I am not sure how to get the phone to have its own unique ip/DHCP address. I think thats my issue, i dont have 1 MAIN computer to do TFTP and all that stuff, so any advice on this would be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.