Cisco 7960 - External Phone Extension

Discussion in 'Windows' started by henington, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henington

I have configured a Cisco 7960 with SIP and everything works perfectly internally ( same network ) but when I take the phone external it does not work, and doesnt seem to even register.

I have port 5060 opened on my firewall as well as 10000 UDP and 10000 TCP. The Cisco Phone is set to use proxy address of my external IP address.

Am I missing something simple?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Haven''t used that particular set....but, just about every external extension (unless you are using the 3CX proxy server or VPN) requires the use of STUN. Be sure that is set up, enabled and working on the set. Some VoIP phones were never intended to be used outside the LAN where the PBX is located and do not have STUN settings. Those sets will have problems if you try to run them remotely.

3. henington

Thanks for your reply. I dont know that the Cisco phones have STUN settings so i guess this handset is only going to be good for internal use?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If there is no STUN setting in the set then it will not work properly unless you have a VPN connection back to the host network, or, you set up the 3CX proxy server at the remote end. Someone on the forum, more familiar with that particular set, may have information about STUN availability.

5. connectica

Cisco 7960 has no STUN support as of latest firmware release in 2010 (8.12). Written 10/8/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.