Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Cisco 7960

Discussion in 'Windows' started by giuseppeg, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giuseppeg

I know these are not the easiest phones to configure and setup with SIP. I do have that part working with the correct firmware and everything downloading from the tftp server. I believe my issue is with the SIP{macaddress}.cnf file. I believe this file is causing the phone to never register and just reset. Attached is a sample file I am using that I had gotten off some Google Searching. I have tried numerous files to no avail. The phone boots up, Sip comes up in the top right hand corner of the phone, then the LCD says requesting configuration, then says Resetting, and resets.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. petersonz

If your 79xx Cisco SIP phone and the 3CX PBX are both behind the same firewall, then nat_enable needs to equal 0.

nat_enable: "0" (both SIPDefault.cnf and SIPmacaddress.cnf has a nat_enable field, the SIPDefault.cnf applies to all phones)

Also, dont forget:

proxy_register: "1"

in your SIPDefault.cnf file

Some other handy Cisco SIP specific stuff.

Dialplan.xml
    This file determines how the off hook dialing will behave.

The dial tone sound for example, timeout after digits, whether or not to connect the call immediately after #, connect immediately after 5xx if your extensions all start with 5 and are 3 digits long, etc.

For example, when the Cisco 7960 goes off hook, you hear an "intercom" dial tone. You can have the dialplan change immediately to the bellcore standard dialtone like you hear in the US on analogs instantly after the 9 key is hit, then finally instantly connect (instead of the timeout), after 1+10 digits, 10 digits, or 7 digits.

It can really confuse people in SIP phones to have to wait for the timeout or remember to hit # after dialing the digits :)

Here's a good site on the Cisco phones:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

Custom ringtones can be a bit pesky but they are much easier to make/convert in Linux than Windows since there are lots of instructions on the web about making Cisco ringtones using a Linux command line to convert them to RAW PCM files.

One warning on Ringtones for Cisco.... Its not always obvious on other peoples instructions but, the ringtone for Cisco cannot exceed 2.01 seconds in length at 8k samples, 8 bits, mono, and ulaw compression. If its even a fraction longer, the ringtone will be silent on the phone.

DHCP and Cisco...

If you are using a mixture of Cisco SIP phones and non Cisco SIP phones you want not TFTP auto provisioned, be sure to specify DHCP option 150 and use an IP address(es) for the TFTP server. Most other phones look for DHCP option 66 and will ignore option 150.

Or if you want both Cisco and non Cisco tftp provisioned phones getting configs from different TFTP servers, use 66 for non Cisco and 150 for Cisco SIP phone's TFTP server.

I did an install with an Allworx where Allworx phones got option 66 from the server for their auto provisioning, but my client had 25 Cisco SCCP phones to convert to SIP and be auto provisioned from a different TFTP server. I would imagine that 3CX would count that way too.

Cheers!
    8)

3. giuseppeg

Thank you very much for your detailed post. I actually was able to get it working shortly after my post. Turns out my default SIPDefault.xml had the wrong firmware version stated on the first line. Due to some funky situation with Cisco's programming and changing the firmware from P003 to P0S3 and visa versa. But anyway, got that working and read through the site you suggested. Lots of useful info so thank you again. One more question I have for you, so currently I plan on using all Cisco phones with our 3cx server. I have to create specific files per phone and load them on our tftp server so the phone can grab them down. I know 3cx can autoprovision, however do I still need to create a specific file per phone and label it the mac of the phone?

Thanks again!
    Giuseppe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.