Cisco 7970 / 7971 with 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by surfie, Jul 11, 2007.

1. surfie

Hello

i want to buy a Cisco 7970 phone working with the 3CX.
    After reading a couple of posts in different forums I'm still confused if I can get running this phone in the SIP mode and with the 3CX.
    Further i would be interested what firmware release it works properly.
    I'm knowing that the lower models like 7960 are working without problems, but in the case of the 7970 I've been reading many different options :roll:

greetings Daniel

2. riceboi

Hi There Daniel,

Using a cisco 7970 or 7971 ip phone will work with 3cx no problems at all.
    The only issue which you will have is that the Message wait indicator (MWI) for voice mail will not work

This is due to the current firmware release for the phone. It has previously worked with an earlier firmware version (i cant quite remember which version)

you will need to ensure the phone loaded with the sip firmware and you will need setup a local tftp server to get the phones to download the config files.
    plus you will need to run a local DHCP server with option 66.
    Option 66 provides a DHCP lease the tftp ip address it needs the device to point to.

any further question, please do no hesitate to ask here

good luck :D

3. surfie

Hello riceboi,

thanks for your reply.
    Which firmware are you using?
    I've been reading that the firmare "cmterm-7970_7971-sip.8-2-1.cop" should work with sip.
    Did you upgrade the firmware from SCCP to SIP by yourself or did you buy it already buy the phone with the SIP firmware.
    Do I need the callmanager to upgrade the firmware?
    Cause I can't get a 7970 phone with an already installed SIP-Image here in germany.
    Further there seems not to be an official SIP-Licence from Cisco avaible.
    Is the licence essential for using the phone with SIP?

Thanks for help...

4. riceboi

Im currently using firmware version sip70.8-2-2sr1s (ver. 8.2-2)
    I originally had the phone loaded with sccp firmware which i upgraded/flashed it to use sip instead.

the process is quite simple, you will need a tftp server to upgrade it to the correct firmware, you dont need cisco call manager to do it.

you might want to look at this link about flashing firmwares on cisco 7970s
    it as well discusses config files. Anything in relation to Asterisk you wont need to know. :)

Licensing isnt important unless you are using the Cisco Call Manager

If you need to purchase the firmware, you will need to open a CCO account with Cisco to obtain a Service Agreement to purchase the firmware from them.