Cisco IP Phone 7975 dials first digit entered

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JCas, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCas

Hi all!

I'm doing a little home project to get back into 3CX - It has been over 7 years since I lasted used it or VOIP in this manner.

I have two Cisco IP Phone 7975's provisioned on a 3CX install. 3CX is installed on windows 7 and is the latest patch of v15.

My IP phones can dial to voicemail without a problem but when I try to dial the other's extension number it dials just the first extension and goes to fast busy. This behavior happens whether I pick the handset off the hook or enter the numbers and press dial. I noticed that if I configure one of the phone's voicemail button to be the number for the other phone that it dials just fine.

The call logs show that it is dialing the first number.

The research I did points to this probably being the inter-digit timer setting being set to 0, if not that then some sort of dialing plan issue. However, these phones do not run Cisco SPA so I cannot configure them via the instructions provided here: http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/configuring-inter-digit-timer/

I tried setting it in one of the phone's xml file in my TFTP directory to no avail.. however I don't exactly know what to enter and where to enter it - I just took a shot in the dark.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you happen to come across the links posted here? https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/cisco-7975g-configuration.20534/

I have come across a number of examples of "generic" configuration files for various Cisco 79XX sets, along with explanations of the fields. In most cases, depending on the model of course, the basics in the config files are very similar.

3. JCas

I'm fairly certain I resolved it late last night. I haven't been able to thoroughly test all angles/situations but I was able to dial an extension number with or without the handset off the hook successfully.

The issue was actually the dialplan. The .cnf for the phones referenced a dialplan.xml that didn't exist. I created the dialplan.xml and placed it into the TFTP root directory and added a basic dial plan:

<dialTemplate>
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="0." TIMEOUT="1"/><!-- Internal extensions 00 to 09. Wait 1 second, then dial. -->
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" TIMEOUT="0" REWRITE="%1"/><!-- Dial immediately after pressing #. -->
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="*" TIMEOUT="5"/> <!-- Anything else -->
    </dialTemplate>

(obviously indented properly)

I rebooted both phones and saw them pull dialplan.xml via TFTP. Once fully rebooted and registered the phones were able to dial each other.

I'll report back if I notice any anomalies or issues but I'm pretty sure this resolved my issue. I hope the information I have provided does the same for anyone else with the same issue.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Back when I was "playing around with some 794X and 796X sets (they have since been packed away), i didn't originally have a dialplan either, but didn't experience the issues you were having. I ended up crafting a dialplan to cover all types of dialled digits to avoid the wait, or having to press extra keys. The 797X set configuration may have had another option missing, or in need of change, but with the dialplan file available, is now over-ridden.

5. JCas

The T302 timer option (AKA Inter-Digit Timer) that can be optionally set via Cisco Call Manager can cause that wait. I wiped the slate clean with the 7975's I had - wiped flash and all to make sure there was nothing residual from their previous configuration (Cisco Call Manager).

6. JST

JST New Member

@JCas Did you actually create a custom provisioning file for the 7975s? Do they show up as provisioned? I am struggling with setting this up. I got the phone registered using one of the provided files, but while it is registered, it shows as unprovisioned. I also have no idea how to set up the speed dial buttons or a phone directory.

If you have working files, would you mind sharing them or giving me some clues on how you set it up? Thank you!

7. Luke

Same Deal, would be great if someone could provide what they did to get this working

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.