• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

cisco phone: TFTP file not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonj

Reaction score
I followed the instructions here:
http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/cisco-7940g-7960g/
to convert my Cisco 7940G phone to SIp to use with 3CX, but I'm getting a TFTP:file not found error on the phone display.
I'm using Pumpkin TFTP server v 2.7
When I power up the phone the display says 'TFTP: P003-08-8-00.loads'
and then the tftp window says:
...'P003-08-8-00.loads' of type 'octet' is requested from 10.10.1.3
...Transfer of 'P003-08-8-00.loads' has successfully completed.
and then the phone says:
'TFTP file not found,'
and this just repeats.
Every time the phone requests the file the tftp server registers successful transfer but the phone behaves as though it never got the file, and it's stuck in this loop. If anyone can help with this I'd be grateful.

Hi,

Please confirm the others files you've got in the tftpboot folder or equivalent. I suspect it may be another file that is is trying to finf but can't after the firmware one.

I tend to use solarwinds tftp server as this gives output in a log file window so easier to find what the problem is.

This is available from here http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/free_tftp_server.aspx

Another good one is tftpd32 as this also contains a dhcp server and is available here http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Jonathan Hamon

The 3COM TFTP Server works well also...

Also, make sure you have done the following:

In the SEP<MAC>.CNF file...

<loadInformation8 model="IP Phone 7940">P0S3-08-2-00</loadInformation8>

refers to the SIP firmware (P0S3-08-2-00) which the phone will load. You will need the following files for the firmware to load they can be found in the TFTROOT folder.

P003-08-2-00.bin
P003-08-2-00.sbn
P0S3-08-2-00.loads
P0S3-08-2-00.sb2

You can also create a XMLdefault.cnf.xml file which will load on to any phone that you haven’t created a specific .cnf.xml for.

Something else to keep in mind... (could be in the timing of when you place certain files in the TFTPROOT folder)

To upgrade the 7940 phones, we needed to keep the SEP[MAC].cnf.xml file out of the tftp root directory until the phones picked up their xmldefault.cnf.xml files first, otherwise they wouldn't upgrade.

OS79XX.txt
P0S3-08-2-00.loads
P0S3-08-2-00.bin
P003-08-2-00.bin
P003-08-2-00.sbs
XMLDefault.cnf.xml

Once you have successfully partially upgraded the phone, you then add in the sep files...

ie:

SIP[MAC].cnf
SEP[MAC]cnf.xml

and it should finish the upgrade - you should see the word SIP appear in the top right hand corner of the LCD screen when this finishes and you can monitor the process on the TFTP server screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.