• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Cisco SPA504G - not connecting or establishing a connection after network blip

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonioAntunesVirtuoso

Reaction score
Hi 3CX Community!,

We have a mix phone envirorment were we use Yealink phones and Cisco SPA504G with firmware 7.6.1.

I am facing an issue that our Cisco phones are not connecting or establishing a connection with 3CX after there is a short internet outage that lasts sometimes less than 1 minute.

Once the internet comes back up, the phones show to not be registering in 3CX. The only way to get the phones to work is to reprovision them.

The Yealink phones came back up automatically without any problems.

Can anyone advise as to why they do not automatically register after the internet is disconnected?

So...if the sets are powered down, and back up, they do not attempt a registration? Re-provisioning is going to put the same configuration back into the set. How long do you wait, after an outage, to see if the phone begin to work again?

I assume that this is a remote site. Do you use an SBC, VPN, or just a router?
In most cases, unless the set is attempting a re-registration, or on a call, as long as the local LAN does not drop, the set should not even be aware that the internet connection is down for a short time.
It may very well be a setting, something to do with registration, that requires changing on the phones. You may wish to use Wireshark to see exactly what the phone is attempting to do, after one of these outages. There may be something else on the network being affected by this (router?), that is having an impact.

Hi Leejor,

Thanks for your reply,

I assume that this is a remote site. - No its our local site
Do you use an SBC, VPN, or just a router? Firewall/Router
The Local LAN didnt notice the drop as it was a blip, check the switch and there was some flaps on the phone.

Using Wireshark sounds like a good idea, but can't try to replicate the problem to test, and all phones are up and working after some manual labour...

We have contacted our ISP and the up time is still above 100+ days (don't trust completly as a full test was not done)

We have tried removing the cables and putting them back on and the phone came back on and was automatically provisioned.

I believe this could be a problem with the connection established between the phone and server. While the phone was one and lost internet connection it probably entered some sort of loop that keeps looking to reestablish the connection or got corrupted.

If the phones, and the server are on the same LAN, all behind a router, then the internet going down for a short time, should not affect the phone other than (perhaps), access to an NTP server. All communication (and registration) should be kept local between the set, and 3CX. I would see if the sets make use of an external DNS server perhaps. Do you use local FQDN? Perhaps the router causes a problem when it looses connectivity. What router are you using, others may have some setting change suggestions.

Hello @AntonioAntunesVirtuoso

As @leejor mentioned if the server and phones are on the same LAN then the internet going down would not affect the phones registration as registration is kept local. With that in mind i would think that something else caused the phones to un-register like a switch or a router.

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies, after having a futher look into this I believe it may be model/Firmware specific to the Cisco SPA504G - Firmware 7.6.1. As it does not make sense to be 3CX settings or the switch (Cisco Catalyst 3750G-48PS Switch) as our Yealink phones came back up after the blip just fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julian1234
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.