• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Cisco SPA514G won't register with 3CX

Status
Not open for further replies.

voice11

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can help me please. I'm new to this & can't get my SPA514G (firmware 7.6.1) to register with 3CX (V15.5) install. I installed 3CX Debian on VmWare workstation 14 Pro (14.1.0), running on WIN7 pro SP1. Everything seem to be ok, I was able to register 3CX soft phone for Windows but cisco SPA514 won't register. Web interface of the phone says "Failed-No Response". Two extensions on 3CX dashboard, one with soft phone is green and one with SPA514 is red. Can someone tell me what can I possibly doing wrong.
I had exact same issue last week with Distro FreePBX (10.13.66-64bit) also. But in that case both the phones failed to register (with message, "Failed Authentication") that is X-lite soft phone (V5.1.0) as well as same SPA514.
Someone else had them set up for me & had them working, but since I wanted to practice myself, I tore it down & wanted to do it myself but was never able to get it to work. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Its same network. Yes I followed the exact instructions, manual as well as semi manual (inputting link into phone web interface). Only thing I couldn't try was port 66 option because don't have DHCP server. Reason I mentioned FreePBX up there is because its same error for both systems. I wonder it has to do with something unrelated...something as simple as port not being open or something needs to be enabled or disabled...something needs to be checked or un-checked. I have tried it so many times I can't think of anything else that I may be missing.

Last edited:
Can you not setup a dhcp server with option 66 to see if it works

You should be able to configure manually your SPA514 to 3CX or FreePBX without any issues. If you have problems like above, this rather means you have other problem, most likely network, as port forwardng at PBX site, NAT/STUN issues, etc. Cisco 79xx phones are completely different from SPA series and setup has nothing to do in common.

Only thing I couldn't try was port 66 option because don't have DHCP server.

Do you mean to say, you don't have a tftp server, or your DHCP server doesn't support option 66?

Here is a link to the Pumpkin tftp server,

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Other-Servers/PumpKIN.shtml

it was the suggested server in a previous 3CX article regarding the Cisco 79xx series

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/tftp-server/

and has worked well for me with those phones. If your router doesn't support letting devices know which IP to use "options 66", go buy a used D-link DIR-615 at a thrift store. Install DD-WRT (check version compatibility on DD-WRT site).

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

There are a lot of other compatible routers as well, check the site. I'm just partial to the 615. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of more sophisticated commercial routers with regards to firewall configuration, but does have a lot of features along with the ability to specify various "Options", like 66. Turn off wifi and use another router as an access point if you want the latest wireless compatibility.

To register a SPA series phone you don't need a TFTP server. If you have DHCP with Option 66 you can set the provisioning path automatically, otherwise you can set it manually or configure the phone manually.

Configuring 7960 is not part of the original topic, as posted by @voice11 and is completely different.

Hello guys,
Thank you for patience. After much of struggle & after trying many things it still doesn't work. Manual process doesn't work either. I am at same page where I had left off... my 3CX soft phone works fine as before & SPA514G has orange lights, show correct extension number but can't make or receive calls.
3CX system (PBX web interface) shows both extensions, one shows green dot (online, windows softphone) another extension shows red (SPA514G).
3CX support wasn't much help, they kept pointing me to DHCP option 66 route, but I don't really know how to set up DHCP option. I don't see what they show in instructions. For example I don't see this box (or options) below when I go Control pannel> Admin Tools>services>DHCP. I can run or stop DHCP from there but nothing much. I had installed Open DHCP from link below as free DHCP server.
I am trying to figure out DHCP out of frustration.... otherwise I am totally happy (for now) if my system works even with manual configuration.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcpserver/
HFaoWi52avfJ5yOQF-FF3csb3hOUxsIfSPEZ819duzdolRwJ8HZE9g5de_4FHsDxUdRY2CPMD8vqYMNyjgxCx4c_aBMD5q_HsYssSqmr0moEGDJHX0W684JU4-rhjgduOA

I wonder if I didn't have to install "open DHCP" because my modem/router by my service provider has DHCP service. Its SR515AC modem... Can I do DHCP option 66 from here? Can someone shed some light please? Thanks in advance.

You should be able to configure manually SPA514G without using DHCP Option66 too.
Have you run firewall checker into PBX?
Have you allowed registration outside of LAN into extension settings?
You should enable also STUN (the PBX public IP, port 5060) and NAT into phone settings, if registering from remote network.

Haaa...that explains...i hope. So my firewall test failed. But we don't have a firewall....Its computer's firewall they are referring to I assume or Vmware's. But everything else they are talking there is gibberish to me. For example Test 1 and/or test 2, where do I find those screens & how do I do those tests. Do you by any change has documentations to how I can fix these deficiencies "firewall-checker" has pointed out.

testing 3CX SIP Server... failed (How to resolve?)
stopping service... done
detecting SIP ALG... not detected
testing port 5060... Mapping does not match 5060. Mapping is 52966. (How to resolve?)
starting service... done
testing 3CX Tunneling Proxy... failed (How to resolve?)
stopping service... done
testing port 5090... Mapping does not match 5090. Mapping is 52968. (How to resolve?)
starting service... done
testing 3CX Media Server... failed (How to resolve?)
stopping service... done
testing ports [9000..9255]... failed (How to resolve?)

https://www.3cx.com/docs/firewall-checker/

Hello, anyone knows how to fix this please? Looks like it may be port forwarding issue.

Looks like I may need to open ports & add PBX IP in safe list as in pic below.
Linksys-WRT54GC.png

But then again I have a problem. I am not able to do so because my 3CX PBX system has internal IP address "http://192.168.11.128:5000" but range available in my router/modem (Smart-RG SR515AC) is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. When I enter port 5060 & say IP address 192.168.11.128, it says invalid IP address.
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.2 - End IP Address: 192.168.1.254 Leased Time (hour): 24

This is how my NAT looks right now where I can make entries.
EHTTP 80 80 TCP 80 80 192.168.1.5 ppp0.1

Why does your 3CX server not have an IP assigned in the same subnet? Like...192.168.1.128, or change the router range to 192.168.11.1-192.168.11.254, which might be easier.

I have no idea how PBX pulled that ip address. My range is 192.168.1.1 being default gateway to 192.168.1.254. Vmware host where PBX is installed may have to do with it. Can that be causing issues? We have fairly straight forward network with just default LAN...with no policies in place. That said two subets should able to talk if connected to same layer 3 switch...right?
I just checked Vmware host has network adapter with these ip addresses that is 192.1.11.1 for some reason. Is that where the problem may be.

You could set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 for the router (some don't allow you to change that) and all devices. The gateway and DNS server information on the 3CX server should also be checked.

The IP of the server should be static, so I'm going to assume that the device was manually given that address, for some reason. Was it used on another network somewhere?

Thank you :). I am leaning toward starting fresh, reinstall the PBX. Because you can't change the IP address once installed. Also I wonder if I should reinstall Vmware from fresh as well. Because my VmWare host is showing this IP 192.168.11.1 & NAT is showing 192.168.40.128...under "virtual network adapter" no idea how it has these addresses. Can these be changed or should I start fresh?
And you are right, though I didn't give these IP addresses manually, but I kept going next> next when prompts were coming. :(

Thank you :). I am leaning toward starting fresh, reinstall the PBX. Because you can't change the IP address once installed. Also I wonder if I should reinstall Vmware from fresh as well. Because my VmWare host is showing this IP 192.168.11.1 & NAT is showing 192.168.40.128...under "virtual network adapter" no idea how it has these addresses. Can these be changed or should I start fresh?
And you are right, though I didn't give these IP addresses manually, but I kept going next> next when prompts were coming. :(
You just found your problem. Your network settings for this guest machine is set to NAT instead of bridge mode. This is effectively putting your 3cx machine on a different network and the VMware host is handling NAT. Your best bet is to set the NIC to bridge mode so it will get an IP on the same network. That SHOULD eliminate one major hurdle.

Also, if you're looking to use 3cx in the long term, I HIGHLY recommend using supported phones. The SPA phones are just too clumsy to setup. Yealink has plenty of entry level phones that don't break the bank. I know a lot of others on the forum are fans of the Fanvil line of phones which are even less expensive than Yealink.

Best of luck on your journey!

Awesome...thank you so much us1. :). I am going to try fix that tomorrow & report back. I can't really recall weather or not I set mode to bridge...but now that you mentioned, I remember its one of the first few steps in right setup.
Plan is to get few mid to high end Yealink phones once setup is done. I want to setup cisco also since we have few of them... more importantly I like to be well versed with system & know setup for those also. :). Thank you again.

Changing to bridge mode did the trick haha. Thank you so much us1 and every one else here. Now I have 2 soft phones & 2 SPA configured & are able to talk to each other.
Now I need to watch some videos & educate myself in setting up IVR. And I know in advance I am going to run into firewall issues as well. Because my firewall test is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leowong
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.