Cisco WIP310 WiFi SIP Phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ScottHilleque, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottHilleque

In case anyone is interested in this new handset, following is my quick review after using it for a day:

I just received my WIP310 last night and, so far, my impression has been very positive. I've been walking around with it all day in the house and backyard, and it hasn't dropped a connection yet. There is very little jitter or noise as long as you use the "tighter" codecs (G.729 or GSM). Provisioning was easy too; in fact I just loaded the configuration XML from a Linksys SPA962 and then changed a few settings via the web interface.

Of course, there are a couple of issues Cisco needs to address still:
    - Menu and feature navigation is a bit clumsy in places
    - Phonebook downloading doesn't work
    - VM waiting indicator is broken
    - Options to configure messaging appear to be missing
    - Settings menu is missing about 1/3 of the options it needs
    - Admin login doesn't work; you have to log in as user then switch to admin
    - Custom ringtones can be selected but there is no mechanism to get them on the phone
    - Documentation is COMPLETELY non-existent

The plus side is that all these shortcomings are fixable in the firmware. Cisco has already released an update from what shipped on the phone, which is a good sign that they are working hard to finish it. The hardware, on the other hand, is quite solid and ready to go.

FYI, I am using 3CX's PBX with a pretty vanilla (inside the firewall) SIP configuration. I've made calls to and from a Grandstream GXP2000, 3CX's softphone, the X-Lite softphone, and out through CallCentric's VoiP gateway. G.729 on the Grandstream and CallCentric sounds better than GSM on the softphones, but they're all "good enough" in my opinion. G.711 (PCMU/PCMA) was horrible though, with lots of clicking and stuttering.

2. jimbob

Scott,
    Can you give me a little more information on how you got the WIP310 setup with 3cx ? I'm new to VOIP, but have been working with telecom for about 5-6 years. I have a 3CX server setup on a PC, and it works between PC to PC using hte softphone just fine. I'd like to take it to teh next step. The WIP310 seemed like a good choice.

The IP address for the phone doesn't show up in the phone provisioning.

Much thanks,
    Jim

3. thenua

Hi Scott,
    Great update ! Thankyou.
    -thenua

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've been using the 310 for well over a year now, maybe two, time flies. Do you mean the IP address that a DHCP server has assigned the phone? that is found on the main screen using the "status' button. All SIP settings ate in menu, profile,SIP Account.
    The one issue I have with the phone is the lack of an auto keypad lock. I've found the phone has "done" things just being in my pocket. I only use the phone when travelling, never on the home network. It has now become a backup for the latest, a UTStarcom flip, which has now, sadly been discontinues as well.

5. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Once our v9 3CX is live I'd like to get hold of one of these to start testing it in regards to being a solution for external extensions as it supports STUN, meaning that remote workers will not need to alter their home routers in any way.

My only concern is the call quality once you take into account the round trip time of a call...

WIP310 -> Users WiFi -> Users Router -> Users ISP -> Office ISP -> Office Router -> 3CX

... and that's just for an internal call.

I suppose at worst the call could be dropped, but under average conditions should the call be poping/clicking/echo free ?. Will the latency/round trip time present any issues at all ?.

ScottHilleque's review is helpfull, but his WIP310 is on the same LAN as his 3CX install ?.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't generally have any issues with delay when the WIP is used outside the local LAN, as it at all times. There should be no more delay that any external extension, and many users have those in place. The only issue I have encountered, and have yet to solve is that the set will loose registration after some time. It requires a power down and up to re-register. This may have something to do with the hotspots I'm using. It is unusual that i would be in one spot longer than an hour but I've found on occasion, if I check the handset after 10 or 20 minutes it is no longer registered. I did lower registration time down to about 3 to 6 minutes. I have seen this on other WiFi SIP phones, that is why I'm thinking it may be the Hotspot. Your experience may vary. Post back on how they work for you.

7. network1

Hi Scott,
    where in WIP310 you can add the 3cx ip address so it will register?
    thank you
    Wally

8. Strider

Hi Wally

Once you have Web Access i.e. http://address of phone, you select "Admin Login", once you are logged in you select "Ext 1", and on this page you can set all your settings for 3CX.

Hope this helps.

Tim

9. network1

Thank you
    Varkis

10. evandropaes

I a am new to VoIP and would like to have a detailed explanation on how to configure and register my WIP-310 and 3CX. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.