Client for TV's

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

Samsung, Sony and Vizio have a Client APP for Skype where people watching their TV can make and receive Skype phone calls.

Does any one know of an effort to create a SIP Client for TVs that will work like Skype.

I am fuzzy on this but I thing Samsung, Sony and Vizo are using the Yahoo Connected TV program for the avenue for APP development for their TVs

https://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/

I am looking for a SIP Client for TVs

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is probably not the best forum for advice on a non-3CX SIP application, let alone one that also works with a TV. You would be looking for something that either connects to an application already (or loadable) on the set. or with an HDMI/Wifi connected "smart" device. If you start with the companies that produce these, then that will narrow down the list a bit. Since companies such as Google, LG, or Samsung produce both phones and TV's (or at least a box that plugs into a TV, in the case of Google), they might be the best bet.

3. Sopock

Sopock Member

Proprietary Client for TV's

and how they send app to background for waiting incoming calls?

Understanding the TV App Lifecycle?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not believe that there is any such available device at present. That does not mean that one won't be forthcoming at some point, but in order for the app to be developed also means that the TV must have the hardware to support or make provisions for the hardware from an external source for something like a microphone. Most of the apps take into account some level of the TV's video aspect as well; they deliver both an audio and video experience (camera?). To your point about being in the background, this too is a factor as if a call does come in, further logic has to be employed with regard to handling whatever the viewer was doing at the time of the call coming in. Presumably they could be watching OTA television, streaming HULU, Netflix, etc. or even on a different source for watching a DVD or using their gaming system.

There are a number of developers currently working on the issue, but none (that I know of) have reached commercial development. Do a google search for SIP client for television. I worked at a large cable television hardware manufacturer for a number of years and we actually discussed some similar scenarios, but the development costs along with the associated hardware and manufacturing costs made it somewhat of a non-starter as it would have only been a niche product in actual use.

I recall some Zenith televisions in the 70's or 80's where it accommodated a POTS line and you could answer the phone through the TV using the remote. I do not recall if you could initiate a call, but at the time it was pretty cool.

5. Frank D

Frank D New Member

Do you need a solution or do you want start development yourself?

If you look for a solution I think TVs with integrated Android TV might work or Samsung's most recent Tizen.
    Or check the Streaming boxes: Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku
    Or XBox and PS4

Those are the most appified systems and many already have integrated microphones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.