Close the app while ignoring push (like Android app)

Discussion in 'iOS' started by vb3cx, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vb3cx

On the Android app you are offered the choice to either close the app or to close it and ignore push. The iphone only really seems to offer the first option; you can't really close the app without being able to receive any new 3CX calls on your phone. If a new call arrives the app will always start again. Why does this difference in functionality exist and is there a way to close the app on iOS while ignoring push?

PS: i thought the extension status would "fix" this if it would be set to unavailable before exiting the app but this doesn't (always) seem to be the case.

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unlike Android, iOS does not allow an application to "exit" (aka terminate) - this restriction has become mandatory since iOS 5.0; prior this, our iOS client has an exit button, which then we have to remove it in order to be approved by Apple.

If you want to disable push, you can choose one of the following solutions:
    - on your iOS device, go to Settings/3CXPhone 14/Notifications and uncheck the "Allow Notifications"
    - on 3CXPhone, deselect your account (ie "No accounts")
    - on the PBX Management Console, for your extension choose "Disable Push".

Hope it helps
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vb3cx

Thanks for this insight. But all these options seem to basically disable push which in itself is very useful to make the 3cx app on the iphone operate more reliable. I can understand that you maybe aren't allowed to exit the app but i guess it should be possible to exit the app "virtually" where new incoming push notifications are seen by the app but not acted upon (like the "ignore push" option from android). This would achieve the desired result i guess.

The way it works now can be very confusing for end users.

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You may post your proposal to our dedicated ideas forum (3cx-ideas-f57.html). However, as one of the 3CXPhone developers, I can provide you some additional info:

in iOS/Apple environment, user takes priority over application, always. So
    - when user press the Home button to put the app in the background, the app cannot prevent this by displaying a message "Do you want to disable push notification? yes/no" since is sent unconditionally to the background.
    - when user decide to terminate the app by swiping it from the "last used apps" screen, the application may even not be running and is not waked-up/launched when user wants to terminate it, so the "disable push" cannot be performed.
    - so, assuming we add an option in app settings or profile, "disable push", this one will only duplicate the existing device's/3CXPhone setting - so we will have TWO settings for the same purpose, being even more confusing for the user; why? He enable the one in the 3CXPhone and disable the one in the device or viceversa and he won't get the expected effect - then he will call our tech support "I enabled push but I dont' receive it!"/"I disabled push but I still receive it!".

From my point of view, this subject is - as I said - a matter of our ideas forum.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vb3cx

Hi Vali,

Thanks for your insights as a developer. If this is as good as it will get because of the apple iOS restrictions then thats what we'll have to work with.

6. hemant_mn

What I told my my iPhone users as a work around was as follows (rather than having to disable notifications):

To disable:
    o In the 3CX app, while registered, click on “your name” in the top right corner, then un-check your account, press done

To enable:
    o In the 3CX app, click on “Accounts” in the top right corner, then check your account, press done

LR2, Pyrognome and Jeremy Bero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.