Cloud PBX licensing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jiveman, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiveman

Hello,

I am testing a trial version of Cloud PBX express for a rollout. I was told this version gets deleted in 29 days. My question is

1. Am i able to purchase a licence and upgrade this build (replace the trial license with a proper one) or do i have to start from scratch with a new cloud pbx express build with a valid license.

2. Is the license cost same for cloud pbx express and standalone version ?

Thanks

2. ITWizardFail

Whenever you use a trial license and upgrade to a full license you should spin up a new PBX and apply the new license to the new machine.
    Make sure you take a backup of everything except the FQDN and License from the trial version, then while deploying the new machine you can upload the PBX configuration to the new license with everything in-tact, except the FQDN which will be updated after applying the backup.
    If you want to use the FQDN from your trial version, login to the customer portal and 'release' the FQDN so you can use with your new license if you want to keep it the same. I recommend not releasing the FQDN until you get to this step, if you release and wait a day or two you could lose your FQDN 3CX supplies to another user.

Jiveman likes this.
  3. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Just to clarify as it was unclear to me when reading it. You received a key when you setup the trial. You can either provide that key to a reseller (such as me, shameless plug) and have it upgraded to whatever license version you want, or you can simply buy a brand new license which will come with a new key. If you followed the recommendations and used a disposable FQDN for testing then you can simply do the backup without FQDN/license as @ITWizardFail mentioned and then restore to your new instance with your new key and FQDN. If used a FQDN you wanted to keep then you would want to upgrade your existing key and follow the steps here:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/moving-to-new-machine/

Note that you want to deactivate the license on the cloud instance, do a FULL backup, and then restore that to your new instance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jiveman likes this.
  4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Although the information about the licence upgrade given here is correct you should note that the free licence expires in a year. It is the trial cloud instance that will be deleted in 29 days. In order to keep your install you need to install the PBX using your own instance in google cloud or any other supported cloud hosting. You can still use the PBX express to install your phone system but you will need to provide the installer login details for your instance.

Jiveman likes this.
  5. Jiveman

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get my head around this. We currently have pbx express setup with aws cloud. My questions are as follows.

1. In 29 days the pabx express instance will be deleted, however the aws will run (i can make and receive calls ) ?
    2. I get 1 year license to keep the aws pabx going ?
    3. In production mode, once we purchase a license, can we keep abc.3cx.com.au url or we must use our own FQDN ?

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

When you set up a trial PBX express installation the instance will be deleted after 29 days, so no calls after that.
    The licence the installer provided for you however is a PBX edition licence that is valid for a year so you can use it in a different installation with the same FQDN.
    Once you purchased a licence to keep the PBX from being deleted after 29 days you will need to install the PBX on your own aws instance.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/cloud-pbx-amazon-aws/

7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

1. No. If you setup a PBXExpress trial via this link (https://pbxexpress.3cx.com/) it would expire in 29 days. Since you installed the PBX Edition key in your own AWS instance it is good for a year at which point you will need to renew the maintenance.
    2. Answered above.
    3. If you used abc.3cx.com.au URL in your current AWS instance you can just keep using that as-is for a year if it has everything you need. If you need features from Standard or Pro or more simultaneous calls then you would reach out to a reseller, give them your PBX edition key which they will upgrade to whatever version you desire. Either way you can keep the FQDN. If you wanted to use your own FQDN then you would need to upgrade to a Standard or higher license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.