Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Codec in 3CX Client

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Aaron B, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron B

I noticed there is a priority list for the codecs inside the 3CX client. If my SIP Trunk has my preferred codec as #1 and so do all the extensions, but the 3CX Windows Client has it as the last priority. Will it be used in calls made with the 3CX Windows Client?

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Normally the PBX will transcode the voice -- the traffic to provider may use one codec, the traffic to 3CX client -- another. You may check it in Activity log (verbose mode) or with network traffic capture (like Wireshark for Windows).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Transcoding should only take place if one end does not have any matching Codecs available. The originating end will negotiate Codecs based on the order they have set internally until a match with the far end is made. So if g711a is at the top of the list on the originator, even if is at the bottom of the list on the destination, the fact that it is there means it will be used. That's my understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.