Codec Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Flash99, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash99

I have Yealink T42S phones running on a local network with 3CX installed on the same network.
    As far as I can see from 3CX I can only use G729, PCMU, PCMA and G722 codecs.

I'm not a huge VOIP expert so excuse me for a stupid question

Can I configure the phones to use wideband Opus codec whenever they talk between local phones and use the 3CX supported codec when they call outside ?

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flash99

4. Sopock

Sopock Member

Maybe with custom template and with setting that PBX should not deliver audio?
    RTPmap on V80 or higher

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 Sopock, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Sounds like a question for the Yealink forums :)

6. Flash99

Not exactly
    I know how to configure the phones using custom template to enable this codec
    I just not sure what 3CX will do with it
    Is it going to let the phones to use this coded between them and negotiate supported coded for external calls ?
    Yealink official documentation say "make sure the codec is supported by your server"

7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So what you want to do falls outside of the 3CX standards/guidelines. So if you know how to do it, just do it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you reprovision with the stock template and call it a day. In theory everything should work. If you put Opus wideband as your first codec and g711 as you second, then if the phones talk directly they should use Opus and when they talk to/thru 3CX it should pick the first supported codec in the list which is g711. But again, lots of *should* so the best thing to do is to test it yourself.

8. Flash99

It wanted to see what 3CX would have to say and/or what other people already did. There is no point to invent a wheel twice.
    I hope to have some free time to "play" with it in the next couple of weeks and then will report back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.