codecs again

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mckey415, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mckey415

hi!
    i have linksys spa921 ip phone device connected to 3cx with bind to media server option enabled. the only codec i can use is g711. when i try to use another codec the call is established but right after the called party answers it turns down. in logs i see messages that no rtp packets were recieved and no codecs intersection found.
    as far as i understand when i set bind to media server option 3cx becomes a media proxy for my phone. in other words all rtp packets are first sent to 3cx and then it sends it to the other party. so seems that 3cx media proxy component doesn't support any other codecs then 711. am i right?

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

You're right, partially.
    PBX currently supports 5 codecs: G.711a/u, GSM, iLBC and speex. Codecs are plugins and installed during PBX installation, so which exactly codecs are installed in your system depends on installation version number. You may take a llok into \your installation path for 3cx\Bin\Codec folder and check dlls in there.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Version 3.1

g711 (PCMU/PCMA)
    GSM
    SPEEX
    iLBC

If your phone will not support at least one of these CODECs then media negotiation will fail if call is bound to media server.

Please note, negotiation with other party can fail as well.

4. mckey415

is there any plans to add more codecs - g723, g729?

5. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

G729 will be added on V4 on the paid versions only.

Cheers

6. mckey415

another question - i have a fxo gateway and 4 pstn lines in 3cx. seems that when i call to pstn 3cx always becomes media proxy independently from bind to media server options. am i right?

7. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

well i dont know what gateway you're using(im only familiar with SPA3102 anyways) but that doesnt happen here, only happens if PBX deliver sound option is enabled for gateway, otherwise Gateway will connect directly to the phone and deliver the sound itself....

Cheers